We are looking for a data-driven, highly organized SEO Senior Manager with an editorial search engine optimization background to help our industry-leading brand increase its organic Search traffic through content recommendations, site improvements, and education around SEO. The ideal candidate has a proven track record of editorial SEO at a publisher, news site, agency, or similar. Preferably experienced with SEO optimization strategy of local and travel editorial content.
The Senior SEO Manager at Thrillist reports directly to the Director of Audience Development with a dotted line to the Editorial Managing Director, working closely with them to develop content strategies and ensure the team is meeting Search traffic goals. You will manage SEO strategies with our editorial, audience development, analytics, and tech groups to find ways to acquire new users from Search and to guarantee the highest level of discoverability for content across digital platforms.
- Lead day-to-day execution of organic search engine campaigns including keyword research, researched content gap recommendations, strategic optimization of existing content, competitor analysis, site improvements, google stories optimization, and SEO support for sold campaigns
- Apply top-to-bottom management of SEO initiatives including writing meta content, supervising SEO-friendly page construction, creating SEO-friendly content, creating target keyword lists, improving site URL structure, etc.
- Work with editorial leads to create SEO content strategies for each of the verticals and work on executing evergreen strategies for existing and new content
- Educate teams with best practices documentation and regular editorial and YouTube SEO training
- Create automated dashboards, run reports, measure daily performance, conduct post-analysis of editorial initiatives, and share insights with stakeholders to ensure teams are pacing to meet goals
- Regularly meet with teams to provide recaps, share new findings, and conduct industry case studies
- Monitor traffic following algorithm updates and act fast to recover after Search traffic drops
- Monitor trends and provide editorial leads with SEO recommendations for major events, local events, and news strategy
- Work with the audience development team to develop strategies to best optimize content across all platforms including but not limited to google stories, social media, newsletters, podcast, etc.
- Work closely with the tech team to perform technical site audits and implement SEO plans
- Use third-party tools to identify Search opportunities, and areas we can improve
- Keep abreast of the latest SEO developments, algorithm changes, new products, and news, especially as it pertains to local markets and travel
- Work with the centralized SEO Team and Group Nine Media brand SEO teams
- Manage and mentor the SEO Specialist
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in editorial (content) SEO, preferably for a media/publishing organization or agency
- Proven track record of increasing search traffic and SERP rankings
- Strong SEO copywriting and editing skills
- Comfort with numbers, plus the ability to leverage data to deduce trends, make recommendations, and lead insight-driven growth
- Experience with web analytics tools and concepts, particularly Google Analytics and Google Search Console
- Familiarity with third-party SEO tools (e.g. SemRush, Botify, Ahrefs, Screaming Frog, etc)
- A collaborative and positive team player with an enthusiastic work ethic
- Nimble and keenness to adapt to a changing media landscape
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to multitask and deliver under tight deadlines
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted. We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink and travel brand for Gen Z and Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences and long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world and celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR and Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.