Group Nine Media is looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our Data Insights Pod. This individual is a self-starting, organized and dynamic person who is passionate about the Group Nine Media brands and working with data at scale.
The Data Insights team is a high-impact group of people with Engineering, Data Science and Design skills that build and support data products that are utilized by many teams at Group Nine. The team comes from various social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds. We value professional development and work/life balance. It's our belief that our team and our work are both made better by our diversity. If this sounds like you, keep reading!
As a person who will help establish Group Nine Media as an insights leader in the media industry, in a typical week you’ll:
- Architect highly-scalable data ingestion applications, construct real-time and batch ETLs, deliver highly visible reports, and build business intelligence tools that are used by Group Nine every day
- Be exposed to how big data is utilized at Group Nine Media to make decisions, set goals, and drive business decisions
- Utilize modern data technologies and tools to focus on delivering valuable insights - not maintaining a legacy architecture
- Develop applications, jobs and APIs that enable teams and software to get access to the data they require
- Work with our Data Scientists and Engineers to create standards for how our data models are stored and queried
- Mentor other engineers and guide them through code reviews and other process improvements
- Implement data validation processes to ensure data quality
- Research new and innovative ways to create data products and services
- Learn something new and awesome every day!
Some technologies that we use and love:
- Google Cloud Platform
- AppEngine, Kubernetes, Cloud Run
- Airflow, Cloud Composer, dbt
- Apache Beam, Cloud Dataflow
- Python, Ruby, Go, Node.js
- Looker, Data Studio
- You have at least 4+ years of experience on an engineering team
- You have a BS in Computer Science - but we welcome other STEM-related fields or equivalent experience
- You are comfortable with building graph-based data workflows using Apache Airflow
- Proficiency with Python, SQL, git, and Unix/Linux Environments
- 2+ years experience with Google Cloud Platform
- Knowledgeable of data modeling techniques and tooling such as dbt
- Experience maintaining containerized applications in Kubernetes
Qualities of an ideal candidate:
- You value humility, patience, diversity and curiosity
- You enjoy using your strong analytical problem solving skills to improve the business
- You have excellent communication skills. This is a role that interacts with many members across the business, especially on the Product and Insights teams.
- You have a passion for evangelizing how data can impact the decisions we make
- You understand the benefits of developing powerful and user-friendly internal tools to augment the capabilities of the business
- You are genuinely interested in building applications that scale with the business
- You’re an independent, self-starter who sees the freedom to shape a team and their future work as an exciting challenge
Cover letter not required but it might help set you apart from other candidates. We promise that we will read them!
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, and federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We value diversity and inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.