NowThis is looking for a Senior Video Producer/Shooter to join the NowThis original video team. As a member of NowThis, you’ll create compelling and informative short to long-form original videos around a variety of critical issues like climate, immigration, and social justice. The ideal candidate is an experienced visual storyteller, with strong technical and editorial skills, and comes in with a working knowledge of how to create top-notch, social-first videos.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
The Senior Producer/Shooter responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Pitch, develop, research story ideas with an eye toward creative execution
- Script short to long form pieces and oversee the editing process
- Be main camera operator in the field and work with field producers or APs to ensure shoot runs smoothly, on time, and on budget
- Must have a keen eye for detail to ensure all assets and final product are of the highest quality
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Demonstrating the ability to be a strong team player; taking initiative in looking for ways to elevate NowThis’ content & brand as a whole.
- Breaking down complex & important subject matter into short form text & visual content, without sacrificing factual accuracy or sensitivity.
- Managing priorities and workload effectively to meet deadlines daily.
- Ensuring all video content follows NowThis's newsroom Style Guide & editorial standards.
- 5+ years of newsroom shooting and editing experience at a digital media company or equivalent
- Broad knowledge of current events
- Must be able to juggle multiple assignments at the same time
- Must be a self-starter
- Expertise in Canon and Sony camera formats
- Expertise in Adobe Premiere
- Strong research, writing, and storytelling abilities
- An understanding of how content is consumed on the internet and why certain videos go viral.
- Enthusiasm for social video as a medium and for covering issue-driven stories
- Interest and experience in a wide range of subject matter
- Must be a team player who enjoys collaboration
- Experience in cinematography and field production.
NICE TO HAVES:
- Background in journalism or filmmaking
- Prior experience working in a fast-paced newsroom
- Familiarity with the style, voice, and values of NowThis as a digital outlet.
- Experience cultivating original sources; experience securing all necessary legal clearances & releases from subjects, locations, and/or third party licensors.
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted. We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
NowThis is the #1 mobile news brand in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. They have a singular mission: to make news engaging and relevant for young adults by humanizing our complicated world. By providing insightful context from a youth perspective, NowThis has revolutionized how news is consumed today. Launched in 2012, NowThis’ entertaining, inspiring and informative videos are created for a mobile generation and receive over 2.6 billion monthly views [platform analytics, June 2020]. In December 2016, NowThis joined forces with Thrillist, The Dodo and Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020].
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.