Group Nine Media is looking for a Software Engineer III to join our Editorial Tools Pod. This individual is a self-starting, organized and dynamic person who is passionate about the Group Nine Media brands and working with modern web technologies to build beautiful, performant, and scalable applications. As a member of the team, you will help build a modern, scalable and intuitive CMS that amplifies and empowers editors’ creativity and efficiency, allowing all teams across G9 to create and distribute content that engages our world-wide audiences.
As a Software Engineer, you will help establish Group Nine Media as a leader in the digital media industry. In a typical week, you will:
- Make contributions with a high level of impact to Group Nine Media's brand-agnostic Content Management System
- Design and implement content schemas, taxonomies, and user interfaces to support new features for all of Group Nine's brands
- Interface with event-triggered microservices via AWS Lambdas, SNS, SQS
- Improve the editorial experience through UI and performance tweaks while also improving the experience for engineers and site administrators
- Utilize and contribute to open source projects
- Learn something new and awesome every day!
Technologies That We Use and Love:
- Drupal 8+
- Docker, Kubernetes
- AWS Lambda, SNS, SQS
- Google Firebase, GraphQL, MySQL
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Amazon Web Services (AWS)
The Ideal Candidate:
- 3+ years of professional experience working with PHP MVC frameworks, such as Symfony or Laravel
- 1+ years of experience working with large-scale CMS technologies (Drupal preferred)
- 1+ years of professional experience working with editorial teams and workflows
- Possesses the ability to continuously refine their software engineering knowledge
- Has CI/CD experience
- Actively participates in Agile/Scrum ceremonies
Qualities of an Ideal Candidate:
- You thrive in a diverse workplace where knowledge-sharing and professional development is an important part of our culture
- You are comfortable collaborating with Product Managers, Designers, and Engineers to develop and implement new content types and features
- You possess a genuine curiosity for understanding how things work
- You are able to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical stakeholders alike
- You are genuinely interested in building applications that scale with the business
- You are an independent, self-starter who sees each new project as an exciting challenge
- You are excited and willing to work on software that may be outside of your comfort zone
- You are an advocate for clean, concise code and internal documentation
- You are passionate about open source software and maintaining best practices
- You keep performance, optimization and speed top-of-mind when developing new features
Cover letter not required but it might help set you apart from other candidates. We promise that we will read them!
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
About Group Nine:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.