Reporting to the VP and Corporate Controller of Finance, the Assistant Controller, Technical Accounting Manager will own the technical functions of Accounting and partner with the VP and Corporate Controller to lead the Finance team. We are looking for an individual who thrives on solving complex accounting and reporting issues and enjoys creating policies and procedures in a fast-paced digital media working environment.
This position will be responsible for:
- Leading the SEC reporting process including but not limited to 10-Q and 10-K reporting and SOX 404 compliance.
- Supervision of all month end close activities, including consolidations, general ledger and international accounting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with the VP and Corporate Controller to lead the technical accounting and reporting processes including SEC reporting and SOX compliance and documentation support.
- Main driver for preparation for consolidated financial statements including cash flows, stockholders’equity statements, stock-based compensation schedules and technical memos.
- Collaborate with other Finance team’s leaders in Revenue/AR, GL and AP to manage month-end, quarter-end and year-end closing process.
- Assist in managing the accuracy and timely filing of various tax returns as well as staying current on all applicable tax laws.
- Assist in collation and preparation of audit schedules and PBC requests.
- Strong Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Must be a team player with strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Self-starter with the ability to work with, manage and prioritize multiple deadlines.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field.
- Minimum of 7 years progressive accounting experience with knowledge of GAAP; or equivalent combination of education and experience. CPA a plus.
- Must have SEC reporting and SOX 404 compliance background and SOX 404 implementation experience is a plus.
- Supervisory experience and experience as an external auditor liaison required a plus.
- Experience in Digital Media or Technology field a plus.
About Group Nine:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.