Thrillist is looking for a driven, multi-talented storyteller to join our Travel team as Senior Staff Writer. In this role you’ll write fun, impactful stories that inspire our readers to connect with their world and seek out unforgettable experiences. You’ll help travelers plan their next adventure with as much attention to detail as you plan your own. And you’ll stay on top of industry trends, consumer behavior, and current events to produce travel coverage that is relevant, uplifting, multicultural, and deeply serviceable.
The perfect candidate will have extensive international travel experience and an unquenchable curiosity about people, places, and cultures. Whether you’re out on the road or working from home, you’ll be expected to churn out weird and wonderful ideas on a daily basis. You’ll chase down expert sources and tap your miles-long list of contacts to bring a local point of view to everything we cover.
We’re looking for an organized self-starter who can work quickly, manage your own time, juggle multiple priorities, and hit deadlines. Experience with photography and/or video work is preferred, with an ability (or desire, at least) to shoot credible video in the field and play a pivotal role in growing the Thrillist Travel brand across all our platforms.
This position will be based in New York City or California.
*MUST INCLUDE LINK(S) TO ESTABLISHED WRITING PORTFOLIO*
A typical week looks like:
- Write in various styles and formats: Features, blurbs, quickturn news, listicles, SEO-driven explainers, Q&A’s, as-told-to’s
- Generate story ideas, more ideas after that—and then, once you think you’re out of ideas, another idea
- Work across departments—including video, social media, and creative—to collaborate on projects and ensure every story you write is visually supported with quality images
- Study data insights (Chartbeat, Google Analytics, custom reports) to keep track of story performance and help identify the topics our audience cares about most
The next great Senior Travel Staff Writer will have:
- At least 3 years in digital journalism writing in the travel space; editing experience and a bachelor’s degree preferred
- Rigorous fact-checking and reporting skills, with a knack for finding expert sources and thinking outside the box
- Adept at reporting on different industries, incl. food and drink, outdoor adventure, hotels and hospitality, diversity and inclusion, and sustainable travel
- Strong understanding of SEO best practices
- A sharp eye for photography and visual storytelling
- Adaptable can-do attitude, open to shifting direction and constructive feedback
- A genuine love for travel, food, fun, and connecting with people all over the world
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, and federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We value diversity and inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine’s mission is to tell great stories that spark action and make a real difference. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, July 2019], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 70% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen, July 2019]. Audiences spend nearly 50 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched mobile news brand in the world; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand on digital; POPSUGAR, the leading digital lifestyle brand for women; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand in the U.S. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lion, Critic’s Choice, among others.