Thrillist is seeking an organized, driven, and creative Editor based in the South to join our team in covering restaurants, bars, and cool things to do. You’ll delve deeply into the unique character, neighborhoods, events, people, and food scenes, giving our readers credible recommendations. Our goal is to give locals the intel and inspiration they need to eat better and have more fun in their own cities, while also helping travelers make the most of their time when they’re in a new place.
You will oversee writers in multiple Southern cities and will be responsible for assigning, editing and composing original content of your own. This position demands a nimble editor who can quickly turn around clean copy infused with humor, personality, and rock-solid reporting. You’ll work with (and recruit) a large roster of freelance writers to stay on top of what’s happening in your cities, and create fresh, serviceable stories that get to the heart of what a place is all about.
Knowledge in SEO, and the ability to provide writers with clear assignments and sharp feedback, are an absolute must. This editor will juggle many stories and priorities simultaneously, so constant attention to organization and deadlines is also essential.
A typical week looks like:
- Brainstorm, assign and edit actionable service stories that represent our brand and drive our audience to have more fun in the cities around them.
- Develop a strong network of writers and sources in your cities and coverage areas, and constantly work to recruit new writers and experts.
- Maintain weekly, monthly, and annual editorial calendars and ensure deadlines are being met.
- Use data insights and analytics to better understand our audience and apply those insights to inform future story ideas and execution.
- Develop a deep knowledge and expertise in the places you cover, understanding what makes each city unique, and what changes are taking place there.
- Be a regular, active partner with Thrillist’s distribution, video, and design teams to ensure every story is supported visually and promoted effectively.
The next great Editor looks like:
- 3+ years of editorial experience in digital media, including at least one year of experience as an editor.
- Strong writing skills.
- The ability to multi-task, balance priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of what’s trending in food and restaurants, and an understanding of the food media landscape and how we can carve out unique spaces in it.
- Strong understanding of how content is consumed and distributed online and via social and search platforms, with a particular emphasis on SEO.
- Good communicator both to members of your own team, to representatives of other departments, and to freelance writers.
- Knowledge of digital media landscape, and where your coverage fits into that competitive field.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, and federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We value diversity and inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine’s mission is to tell great stories that spark action and make a real difference. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, July 2019], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 70% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen, July 2019]. Audiences spend nearly 50 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched mobile news brand in the world; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand on digital; POPSUGAR, the leading digital lifestyle brand for women; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand in the U.S. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lion, Critic’s Choice, among others.