The Dodo is seeking a creative and experienced visual storyteller to join our video team. To thrive in this role, you’ll need to excel at sourcing and crafting an emotionally compelling narrative that hooks viewers immediately and keeps them watching until the very end. You’ll feel comfortable producing a mid- or longer-form social video from start to finish — from sourcing content online, conducting interviews and requesting extra footage, to scripting and structuring a memorable, emotional story. We’re looking for editors who can spot an emotional piece of found footage and use it as a building block to produce a midform video with visual arc, using shot lists and giving direction to the uploader to acquire every piece of footage needed to make the story complete.
The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media, and be nimble and eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. A passion for finding clips that are emotional/visual gold and a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on social media are key. Attention to detail, great people skills, persistence in gathering every part of the story, and the ability to manage multiple ambitious projects at once are needed to create videos that are consistently special and highly sharable. We are open to extremely committed recent grads.
A typical week looks like:
- Source compelling stories about animals by mining social media, building relationships, putting together shot lists and communicating with uploaders to obtain engaging footage
- Find the Dodo angle that makes stories sharable through conducting interviews and crafting an original narrative with the emotional kernel in mind
- Use video editing techniques and rigorous storytelling to create about five midform videos per month that exemplify the Dodo voice and brand
- Use feedback to iterate on content selection/sourcing and editing techniques, working closely with other editors on the team
The next great Associate Video Editor/Producer will have:
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative video (please provide clips)
- A drive to put together a complete story start to finish, including working closely with sources and producing parts of the story
- Basic After Effects a plus
- Desire to work for a growing company and a love of animals
- Extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- Able to work independently and also exchange feedback with a close-knit team
- Deep understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I and executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. We’ve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support and meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer and religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted. We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
About The Dodo
The Dodo is the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019], and the most engaged media brand globally across all content genres [Tubular Labs, May 2020]. We tell fun, entertaining, emotional stories about animals that make people laugh, cry happy tears, feel ALL the feels, and fall in love with animals. In December 2016, The Dodo joined forces with NowThis, Thrillist and Seeker to form Group Nine Media — the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020].
About Group Nine Media
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news and politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Women’s Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critic’s Choice, among others.