About the Team:
Group Black is a next-gen media collective and accelerator focused on the advancement of Black-owned media properties. Group Black will do more than simply traffic media dollars to current Black-owned media businesses. We will expand Black ownership of media, and support and encourage young Black entrepreneurs to develop the media properties of the future.
Our Growth Team leads our efforts to grow Group Black’s member companies, and creator/ influencer networks, with a focus on both driving scale, and relentlessly building the most exciting, culturally relevant properties for the next generation of diverse audiences. We are a team of disruptive thinkers, entrepreneurial in nature, who proactively envision and identify opportunities to expand our collective footprint in media and culture. The members of our Growth team are expert relationship builders, constant collaborators, and creative problem solvers, with proven experience in working with relevant partners to find success and generate innovative and high-impact results.
Group Black is seeking a Director of Growth (Member Prospecting & Development), responsible for bringing new companies into the Group Black ecosystem. This role is highly collaborative, both liaising internally with cross-functional teams, and working closely with our partners to help to grow the number of member and network companies, thus growing inventory and revenue.
Reporting to the Head of Growth, your work will help to identify, define, and go after the most compelling growth opportunities for Group Black. As such, you will need to understand the importance of balancing scale vs. impact. In this role, you should be able to assess growth potential, have a deep connection to culture and firsthand knowledge of the media landscape, both current and emerging, with a special knack for what’s new and next.
- Develop formal prospecting and assessment framework criteria for new member and network companies, ensuring sufficient differentiation of interests/verticals, audience, media types, etc.
- Identify, prospect, and drive new member and network company selection.
- Negotiate and structure new partnership deals.
- Establish member onboarding process (informing of Group Black’s value proposition, ways of working, opportunity identification)
- Liaise internally to ensure all teams are familiar with all member/network companies, and are able to leverage accordingly (especially sales team).
- Lead program and communication with all network partners.
- Create 18-month pipeline of potential members (inclusive of network).
Identifying and assessing potential companies is critical. Your first priority at Group Black will involve prospecting new and innovative media companies to expand our scale.
What you bring to the team:
- 10+ years experience in a brand, media or strategic partnerships role
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Passion for all things culture
- Growth mindset with proven ability to assess new opportunities
- Experience negotiating and executing innovative partnerships
- Strong public facing presentation skills representing Group Black
- Experience articulating member feedback to internal stakeholders
- Expert knowledge of traditional and emerging media platforms
- Experience collaborating cross-functionally and building consensus among multiple stakeholders
- Excitement about working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Willingness to adapt to change in a growing company
- Ability to identify cultural trends, industry trends, and audience growth opportunities, providing teams with a point of view on how it affects the way brands connect with people
Group Black is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law. Group Black is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know.