Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
We are seeking a skilled Geospatial Software Engineer to advance Gro’s data storage and processing for our expanding geospatial datasets. This includes high resolution and multi-dimensional climate, environmental, and satellite data that are used to drive Gro’s product offerings and predictive models. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in building, optimizing, and maintaining systems that store and operate on large amounts of data in various geospatial formats.
What You'll Do
- Design, implement, and maintain high throughput data pipelines that allow scientists to quickly analyze and transform large geospatial (multi-dimensional, high resolution) datasets in the cloud
- Manage, optimize, and even redesign existing geospatial data workflows and storage systems
- Design, implement, and manage data storage solutions for large geospatial datasets
- Collaborate with scientists, analysts, researchers, and software developers to deliver high-quality geospatial data products and services
- Work with cross-functional teams to integrate geospatial data processing tasks
Who you are
- Someone who loves to learn, is willing to experiment, and remains adaptable
- Understands geospatial data and computational challenges for N-dimensional array data and GIS data
- Someone who is passionate about building and optimizing distributed parallel computing systems and crunching loads of data quickly and efficiently
- Self-motivated to drive projects to completion
- Open-minded about languages/tools/frameworks, and able to make good decisions about which to use (and when) to solve a particular problem
- A great team player; someone with a point of view who knows how to humbly express it
What we're looking for
- Ability to create and clearly communicate designs and ideas
- 6+ years of experience in geospatial software engineering, including cloud data pipelines, big data architecture, and automation
- Expertise in Python
- Experience with GIS libraries (e.g. GDAL, Rasterio, Rioxarray, Shapely, GeoPandas)
- Fluency with cloud (AWS, GCP, or Azure) infrastructure (AWS preferred)
- Experience with geospatial data formats and schemas - both legacy (HDF, NetCDF, GRIB) and cloud-optimized (GeoTIFF, TileDB, Zarr)
- Fluency with one or more cloud-based distributed computing frameworks (e.g. Dask, Spark)
- Experience with workflow management tools (e.g. Airflow, Dagster)
- BS in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with cloud-native software development using containers (e.g. Kubernetes, ECS)
Nice to Have
- Experience with collaborative platforms (e.g. GitHub, GitLab)
- Experience with object stores (S3, Azure Blob Storage, etc)
- Knowledge of data science,machine learning, and statistical models
- Experience with Geospatial or highly pixelated data sets
- Experience in technical leadership, leading project teams, and setting technical direction
- Proficiency with or willingness to learn Rust
The salary range for this role is expected to be $130,000 - $225,000. Other compensation for the role includes equity, a generous PTO policy and health, vision & dental insurance.
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.