Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
This position will be joining the Climate team. The team works to build Gro Climate Indicators, a suite of physical climate risk measures based in cutting edge machine learning and climate science. We establish use cases connecting climate data to businesses, economies, governments, and populations, and respond to requests from internal and external users: building and productionalizing models with resourcefulness and creativity.
What You'll Do
- Analyze various data sources alongside Gro Climate Indicators measuring historical and projected climate change to generate deep insights about expected and heretofore unexpected climate impacts on businesses, economies, governments, and populations
- Build analytic tools and visualizations to make these insights more accessible and actionable
- Establish and optimize processes to utilize ML and data wrangling methods (natural language processing, geocoding, record linkage, etc.) to clean, categorize, and process data sources fast and accurately
- Conduct spatial analyses, including spatial correlations and other spatial statistics
- Collaborate with climate scientists, finance specialists, and geospatial specialists to improve the accuracy of existing data series and/or create additional research-based climate-related data series
- Develop systems and techniques for large scale computations
- Work closely with product and engineering teams in the design and implementation of new features as well as solving technical obstacles related to data sources
What We're Looking For
- 5+ years industry experience in a data science/machine learning
- Experience owning data science workflows: e.g., define problems/brainstorm ideas, build data pipelines, create/productionalize ML models, build product prototypes, and present key analytic findings to stakeholders/clients, etc.
- Advanced degree (Master or PhD) in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Physics or a related field preferred
- Strong programming ability with fluency in Python
- Familiarity with Git, Docker, AWS, Spark, SQL, web application frameworks (e.g., Dash) preferred
- Experience with 2+ of the following: natural language processing, knowledge graphs, deep learning, spatial statistics, or “big data” computation (parallel processing, distributed storage)
- Ability to deliver high quality results given time constraints, prioritize across multiple tasks, drive product and engineering implementation through stakeholder collaboration
- Experience/Interest in climate data, climate science, or the interaction between climate science, finance, and the economy
The salary range for this role is expected to be $140,000 - $200,000. Other compensation for the role includes equity, a generous PTO policy and health, vision & dental insurance.
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.