Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
We are rapidly expanding our systems engineering teams and focus and are looking for hungry, curious, fast-learning engineers from four years of experience all the way to senior leadership across our Infrastructure, Platforms, and Devops teams.
What You’ll Do
Below are just some of the challenges and problems we are trying to solve here at Gro. If you can help us with one or more we would love to speak with you - particularly if you’re eager to see your work have a bigger impact on the world
- Scale our data ingestion and indexing pipelines, to handle orders of magnitude more data (e.g. rasterized/pixel data vs region-encoded data)
- Decompose serving monoliths into a microservices/service-oriented architecture
- Obsess over query performance and data schemas to enable efficiency and speed at ever-growing scale
- Rethink and revamp our CI/CD process to find the sweet spot between nimbleness and stability
Who You Are
- Someone who is passionate about building, tuning, and scaling systems
- Adept at, and motivated by, the concept of trying to automate yourself out of a job
- A great team player; someone with a point of view who knows how to humbly express it
- Open-minded about languages/tools/frameworks, and able to make good decisions about which to use (and when) to solve a particular problem
- Deep understanding of computer engineering fundamentals (at least one of: kernels/operating systems, networking, distributed systems, structured storage systems, relational databases, cloud computing)
- Experience with enterprise cloud infrastructure and services (we use AWS)
- Proficient in Python, or a strong willingness to learn it and use it
- Proficiency with a systems programming language (e.g. C/C++, Rust, Java, etc.)
- BS in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience
Nice to have
- Familiarity with Postgres, Docker, Kubernetes, CircleCI
- Experience with, or a passion for, the Rust programming language
- Experience in technical leadership, leading project teams, and setting technical direction
The salary range for this role is expected to be $140,000 - $225,000. Other compensation for the role includes equity, a generous PTO policy and health, vision & dental insurance.
We are focused on hiring a small army of systems engineering folks with a variety of backgrounds and skills to tackle huge infrastructure challenges. We need both generalists and specialists - so if you’re reading this and think you can make an impact as an engineer specializing in any of the areas mentioned, or even hinted at, above then please apply and let us know!
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.