Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in both Nairobi and New York, Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
Gro Intelligence’s design team is looking for a Data Visualization Specialist who specializes in visual storytelling. Gro’s products help clients unlock insights that inform their short, medium and long term decision making process. As an analytic storyteller at Gro you will craft visualizations that make this insight creation, discovery and consumption more compelling and more interactive.
What you'll do
- Work as an internal consultant on individual projects to take analyzed data and transform into rich interactive data tools.
- Partner with analysts & data scientists to creatively approach business problems with design, data visualization techniques, and a working knowledge of web technologies.
- Establish design standards for the team’s output (client dashboards, interactive visualizations and data tools) to make them more compelling and increase our clients understanding of our data products.
- Work independently and be empowered to provide the team with quantitative visualization best-practices.
- Take our proprietary data and transform it into a rich visual decision making tool for external clients.
- Manage confidential information with professionalism and unquestionable integrity.
What we're looking for
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Art, Design, Data Journalism, Graphic Design, or other technical or visual-related fields.
- 3+ years working in data visual design, academia or in a related industry
- Deep understanding of data visualization principles and the ability to go beyond the basics in data viz design
- Demonstrated capability of building some cool interfaces using visualization libraries, or in a BI platform.
- Familiarity with data visualization tools such as Tableau/ Plotly Dash
- Visual portfolio required - please include a link to your website portfolio
Nice to have:
- Technical data visualization experience using Python or d3.js (or similar libraries) for interactive web graphics and dashboards.
- Experience with geo-visualization, cartography, and mapping tools such as GIS.
- SQL experience
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi and New York City. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.