What’s so interesting about this role?
Our team is growing because our user base is growing (30% in the last year!) which means we need you! We’re looking for a Senior Backend Engineer who is passionate about building, testing, deploying, and working closely with the Product team to deliver new features. You will have the opportunity to solve challenging problems, work with the latest systems, collaborate with a kind and capable team, and contribute meaningfully.
What’s the job?
- Build for the future by designing maintainable, reliable, scalable, and well-tested systems to serve a global audience of millions of concurrent users (we’re big!)
- Work with Product Managers, Designers, and other Engineers to refine feature design and functionality
- Optimize key pieces of Grindr's platform using tools like Java, Kotlin, Redis, ElasticSearch, Kafka, MySQL, and AWS services
- Troubleshoot unexpected issues across various systems because being the most popular is hard… and fun :)
What we'll love about you
- 4+ years of experience as a Software Engineer working on Backend Systems (Service APIs, Data Processing, Messaging Services, Microservices)
- Experience developing and maintaining systems with Java or Kotlin stacks
- Knowledge of cloud technologies such as AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.
- Passionate about writing quality software, with an attention to detail and thorough approach to reviewing code
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Experience designing and productionizing large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with relational databases such as MySQL, SQL Server, Postgres, etc.
- Experience designing and building robust API systems at scale
- Ability to work partial Taiwan-hours/US-hours (flexible schedule) out of Hawaii
We’ll really swoon if you have
- Experience with application frameworks such as Spring or Ktor
- Experience developing production systems deployed in Kubernetes
- Experience with Redis, Kafka, or Elasticsearch
- Experience running ad-hoc analysis with SQL and Looker (or similar technologies) would be a plus
- Ability to speak Mandarin Chinese would be a big plus
What you'll love about us
- Global impact. Grindr is the world-leading LGTBQ+ social networking service. Your role will impact the lives of millions of LGTBQ+ people around the world.
- High Growth. Like the company itself, this role offers significant room for growth and development
- Remote First: We have offices in LA, NYC, SF, Chicago, Toronto, and Taipei, though the company is set up not just as remote-friendly, but remote-first. More than 30% of our employees work outside the cities where we have offices. Today, we are set up to hire easily in the US, Canada, and Taiwan. If you live outside one of these countries, just let us know so we can make sure we can support you.
- Comp: Industry competitive compensation, including equity for all employees
- Benefits: Unlimited vacation policy
- Family insurance: We provide great insurance coverage for health, dental, and vision for you and your family.
- Retirement Savings: Generous 401(k) plan
- Other Perks: home-office stipend and many company-sponsored events
Since launching in 2009, Grindr has grown into the world’s largest social networking app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. We have millions of daily users who use our location-based technology in almost every country in every corner of the planet.
Today, Grindr proudly represents a modern LGBTQ+ lifestyle that expands into new platforms. From social issues to original content, we continue to blaze innovative paths with a meaningful impact for our community. At Grindr, we create a safe space where you can discover, navigate, and get zero feet away from the queer world around you.
As of June 2020, Grindr has new owners with a track record of multiple successful Bay Area start-ups. The new leadership is demonstrating a renewed commitment to creating an experience for users that is safe, fun, and productive, as well as a positive & uplifting company culture in which everyone can be their best selves. At the heart of Grindr’s mission in this new chapter is a shared set of core values including transparency, accountability, experimentation (failing fast), and strong allegiance to the LGBTQ+ community.
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer.