Finance is only relevant in context. People don't take out a loan in order to take out a loan; they take out a loan to refurbish a home, expand their business to a new location, or otherwise achieve a goal that happens to require a substantial amount of money.
Technology is increasingly enabling companies to embed finance at the point where it is most relevant and contextual. This is a trend that is well under way, and we're heading towards a future where people and firms get most of their financial services and products from technology companies and other non-bank firms, rather than high street banks.
The problem is that bringing a financial product to market is still incredibly hard.
Griffin exists to help make it easy for companies to offer financial products. We are currently seeking authorisation to become a bank, so that we can provide accounts, payments and loans to our customers.
We are highly intentional about our culture, and look to define it both by who we are (core values) and by how we work (core behaviours). We won't hire people who aren't a good fit for our culture, even if they're otherwise qualified.
We're looking for thoughtful people who don't give up easily and who strive to be kind in their words and actions. As product designers, we are always looking for ways to simplify complex things and we take security very seriously. As a financial institution, we believe that our customers' trust is our single most valuable asset and we will go above and beyond to earn and keep it. We are transparent by default.
You can learn more about our culture and values on our website.
The People team
The People & Talent team is on a mission to build, support and nurture engaged and effective teams. We have some strong foundations in place, particularly around culture and talent.
As Chief People Officer, you’ll lead and grow the team over time. As ~40 person company set to double over the next 9 months or so, we have two people in place on the talent side already, and anticipate balancing and growing the team by 2-3 people over the next six months.
You will be part of our executive leadership team, our COO (Maria) will be your manager, and you’ll work closely with the Chair of our Board People and Governance Committee (Naomi).
What will you be doing here?
As CPO, you’ll be responsible for:
- developing and iterating every part of our employees’ journey at Griffin
- embedding equitability, inclusion, culture and sustainability throughout the people lifecycle
- overseeing and supporting the recruiting team, especially with forecasting, planning, strategy and budgeting
- leading on building a modern, inclusive, effective working environment (primarily online but also offline!)
- building and scale the processes, structures and resources that managers and individuals need to flourish in their roles
This includes everything from onboarding to exit interviews, and compensation to training.
Who are you
We’d love to hear from you if:
- you’ve been the most senior People leader in a growing B2B organisation;
- you’re accustomed to working with technology teams and you enjoy using automation to simplify processes;
- you have a bias to action and take an iterative approach to your work;
- you thrive on feedback and love to collaborate with your peers;
- you aren’t afraid of having difficult conversations when they’re needed;
- you are comfortable prioritising and managing the trade-offs between making people happy and helping the business prosper;
- you enjoy building strong, productive relationships with leaders and coworkers across the company;
- you’re particularly keen on embedding learning and growth in organisations.
We’re hybrid-remote, and most of your colleagues will not share an office with you on a day-to-day basis. This means you should also have:
- a high degree of comfort adopting new software tools for document drafting, collaboration and communication.
- a love of writing - we have a major amount of written documentation that you will be contributing to, and we place a high degree of importance on clarity and readability (you can find out more here about how we write )
- experience with a distributed workforce, including outside the UK
What can we offer you?
We are an early stage startup and we're working hard to expand our benefits package. We're planning to add to this list in the future
- 25 days off a year + bank holidays
- Flexible, remote-friendly working - including supporting home office setup
- Tax-advantaged stock options under HMRC's Company Share Option Plan (CSOP)
- Auto-enrolment into company pension scheme
- Enhanced parental leave with up to 6 months at full pay
- Private medical insurance and life insurance (provided by AXA and AIG respectively)
- A weekly team lunch on Griffin (even when you're working remotely)
How do I apply?
Please include a cover letter, a resume and a link to your online portfolio where appropriate. We cannot review applications without these. If there's a match our Talent team will reach out to schedule an initial conversation and talk you through our interview process in detail
N.B: We have a small London office in Moorgate, and we are comfortable hiring people to work from anywhere in the UK. About half of the company is based within occasional commuting distance of London, the other half is full-time remote.
If you’re part of a group that is under-represented or marginalised in fintech, we’d love to hear from you. Our goal is for Griffin to proportionally represent the diversity of the working population in society. We’re working to ensure that Griffin is a supportive, empowering and inclusive environment for every member of our team — whatever your intersection of identities & background.