Finance is only relevant in context. People don't take out a loan in order to take out a loan; they take out a loan to refurbish a home, expand their business to a new location, or otherwise achieve a goal that happens to require a substantial amount of money.
Technology is increasingly enabling companies to embed finance at the point where it is most relevant and contextual. This is a trend that is well under way, and we're heading towards a future where people and firms get most of their financial services and products from technology companies and other non-bank firms, rather than high street banks.
The problem is that bringing a financial product to market is still incredibly hard.
Griffin exists to help make it easy for companies to offer financial products. We are currently seeking authorisation to become a bank, so that we can provide accounts, payments and loans to our customers.
We are highly intentional about our culture, and look to define it both by who we are (core values) and by how we work (core behaviours). We won't hire people who aren't a good fit for our culture, even if they're otherwise qualified.
We're looking for thoughtful people who don't give up easily and who strive to be kind in their words and actions. As product designers, we are always looking for ways to simplify complex things and we take security very seriously. As a financial institution, we believe that our customers' trust is our single most valuable asset and we will go above and beyond to earn and keep it. We are transparent by default.
You can learn more about our culture and values on our website.
The Engineering Team:
As with most of the company the engineering team is still in it's infancy. We have grown quickly within the last year to our current team size of 23 which is made up of the CTO, VP of Engineering, Engineering Manager and 20 engineers split across backend, infrastructure and fullstack specialisations.
Rather than "move fast and break things", we aim to move thoughtfully and to make few mistakes. We are an output-driven environment that operates with extreme autonomy; people are free to keep their own hours and we don't micro-manage each other.
Our frontend stack is CLJS, Reframe, Reagent, React, Stitches, Radix, Storybook and Playroom
Our backend stack is Clojure, FoundationDB, Kubernetes and AWS
Who are you
The ideal candidate for this job will have most of the following:
- Experience of ClojureScript and/or experience of integrating with a Clojure backend
- Strong JS experience in React or Vue and experience with browser quirks
- Experience in cross-functional product development teams, shipping consumer-facing features
- Proven contributions to internal design systems
- An appreciation for the importance of good documentation – internal and external
- Solid understanding of semantic and accessible HTML and CSS
- Attention to detail, especially around performance, accessibility, reliability and security
Nice to have:
- Experience with one or more of the technologies within our frontend stack (CLJS, Reframe, Reagent, Styled Components & Styled System)
What will you be doing here?
As a frontend engineer at Griffin, you'll be...
- Building out the component architecture of our SPA
- Integrating and extending our backend APIs
- Helping build and grow our design system
- Writing accessible, semantic and performant frontend code
- Developing and extending our test suite
- Working in tandem with designers
What can we offer you?
We are an early stage startup and we're working hard to expand our benefits package. We're planning to add to this list in the future
- 25 days off a year + bank holidays
- Flexible, remote-friendly working - including supporting home office setup
- Tax-advantaged stock options under HMRC's Company Share Option Plan (CSOP)
- Auto-enrolment into company pension scheme
- Enhanced parental leave with up to 6 months at full pay
- Private medical insurance and life insurance (provided by AXA and AIG respectively)
- A weekly team lunch on Griffin (even when you're working remotely)
How do I apply?
Please include a cover letter, a resume and a link to your online portfolio where appropriate. We cannot review applications without these. If there's a match our Talent team will reach out to schedule an initial conversation and talk you through our interview process in detail
N.B: We have a small London office in Moorgate, and we are comfortable hiring people to work from anywhere in the UK. About half of the company is based within occasional commuting distance of London, the other half is full-time remote.
If you’re part of a group that is under-represented or marginalised in fintech, we’d love to hear from you. Our goal is for Griffin to proportionally represent the diversity of the working population in society. We’re working to ensure that Griffin is a supportive, empowering and inclusive environment for every member of our team — whatever your intersection of identities & background.