We're making a bank you can build on. Our customers range from fintech start-ups with bold new ideas to established brands breaking out into new territory. Whether they're large or small, they all need the same things to get to market: a Banking as a Service (BaaS) partner, a compliance solution and solid accounting infrastructure. At Griffin, we aim to offer all three under one roof - enabling our customers to get to market faster with a trusted long-term partner.
We're currently seeking authorisation from the FCA and PRA to become a fully-regulated bank.
We're still an early stage company, with only around 25 people. The team is distributed, with about half of us in London and the rest sprinkled across the UK, Ireland, Portugal, Germany and Sweden.
We're looking for thoughtful, kind people who don't give up easily. We're obsessed with clarity, simplicity, and ease of use. As a financial institution, we believe that our customers' trust is our single most valuable asset and we will go above and beyond to earn and keep it.
We are far more passionate about our culture than most companies - let alone most banks! Accordingly, we bring a lot of structure to measuring culture fit during our interview process.
You can learn more about our culture and values on our website.
The Engineering Team:
As with most of the company the engineering team is still in it's infancy. We have grown quickly within the last year to our current team size of 14 which is made up of the CTO, VP of Engineering and 12 engineers split across backend, infrastructure and fullstack specialisations.
Rather than "move fast and break things", we aim to move thoughtfully and to make few mistakes. We are an output-driven environment that operates with extreme autonomy; people are free to keep their own hours and we don't micro-manage each other.
Our backend stack is Clojure, Kafka, Datomic, Kubernetes and AWS
Our frontend stack is CLJS, Reframe, Reagent, React, Styled Components, Styled System and Storybook.
Who are you?
The ideal candidate for this job will have most of the following
- Experience in Clojure or another functional language
- 4+ years experience in SRE/DevOps
- Strong understanding of IP networking
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Docker
- A desire to work with small teams in fast-paced start-up environments.
Operational experience with Kafka, Datomic, Kubernetes preferred, but not required
What will you be doing here?
As an Infrastructure Engineer, you'll be responsible for building, operating and monitoring our production infrastructure. We are planning on becoming a bank that will handle thousands of transactions per second. Correctness, performance, and reliability are paramount.
We are a Clojure shop, and use it in places where other teams might use shell scripting or YAML. This is a programming job, with a focus on infrastructure and tooling. Up to 50% time spent on application development is possible.
The kinds of things you'll work on include:
- Writing infrastructure-as-code to configure our AWS environments in a standard and repeatable way
- Working on underlying aspects of the platform to develop our performance, scalability, and oberservability/monitoring
- Writing internal tools to make monitoring, logging, alerting and debugging easier and faster
- Writing code to take consistent backups our entire system, and then verify the backup is correct
- Writing Clojure to verify our systems are correct after power / network etc. failures
- Writing chatbots to automate common ops runbooks
- Improving our Continuous Deployment pipeline
What can we offer you?
We are an early stage startup and we're working hard to expand our benefits package. We're planning to add to this list in the future
- 25 days off a year + bank holidays
- Flexible, remote-friendly working - including supporting home office setup
- Tax-advantaged stock options under HMRC's Company Share Option Plan (CSOP)
- Auto-enrolment into company pension scheme
- A Pleo card for covering work expenses
- Private medical insurance and life insurance (provided by AXA and AIG respectively)
- A weekly team lunch on Griffin (even when you're working remotely)
How do I apply?
Please include a cover letter, a resume and a link to your online portfolio where appropriate. We cannot review applications without these. If there's a match our Talent team will reach out to schedule an initial conversation and talk you through our interview process in detail
N.B: Our London office is located in Moorgate and we are comfortable hiring people to work from anywhere in the UK. About half of the company is based in London and may return to working in an office post-COVID, and the other half is full-time remote. We are currently able to support remote employees based in: Sweden, Ireland and Portugal