Gremlin’s mission is to make the Internet more reliable. We’re leading the way in the exciting, growing practice of Chaos Engineering, for enterprises like Target, Twilio and JP Morgan Chase that are building complex, distributed SaaS applications whose success depends on uptime. The Gremlin platform uncovers risks and weaknesses that aren’t addressed by traditional DevOps and IT operations processes and best practices. If paving a new path forward at the leading edge of technology sounds exciting to you, we should talk.
About the Role of the Lead Software Engineer, Backend
As a Lead Engineer at Gremlin, you will have the opportunity to improve the reliability of the internet at large by developing Chaos Engineering tooling. You will be able to leverage your engineering experience to inform product design as well as solve complex technical problems that directly impact our customers (which range from the Fortune 500 to smaller organizations). You will work closely with a small, talented team focused on quality, delivery, and predictability.
In this role, you’ll get to:
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and other stakeholders to design and build the latest and greatest in Chaos Engineering tooling
- Leverage strong collaboration and communication skills to deliver new features within a remote culture
- Partner with product and other business units to understand business problems and present technical solutions and tradeoffs
- Actively mentor and grow your teammates
- Care deeply about the customer experience
We'll expect you to have:
- 7+ years professional Java software engineering experience
- 7+ years of experience in cloud technologies: e.g., AWS, Lambda, Serverless
- Extensive DynamoDB and/or other no-sql DB experience
- Experience or strong interest in infrastructure & systems level technologies: e.g., Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, etc.
- Proven experience in architecting complex distributed systems and integrating with external systems
- Self driven and collaborative problem solver with strong communication skills
- Strong at breaking down ambiguous problems into concrete actions and milestones
- Must be willing to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with agile development environments and practices
- Should have experience doing code reviews
- Strong advocate and practitioner of automated testing, CI/CD, and engineering best practices
- Should be able to mentor and guide other engineers
- Migrating from relational to no-sql a huge plus
- Has been on-call and participated in an incident management program
- Experience or interest in Rust & Systems Level Programming
- Experience taking features from concept to full production release
*The role does not offer sponsorship employment benefits.
**If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.*
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As “Call Leaders” they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and resolving global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, in 2016 they decided to make what they had learned available to a wider set of enterprise companies and launched Gremlin.
Since then, Gremlin has built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn from one another while pushing the entire industry forward to new heights. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
What Do We Care About:
- We Care about our People
People are our critical differentiators. The company strives to treat our people with respect, empathy, and dignity. We expect that our people will treat each other similarly. In both cases, we will assume good intent. All are welcome at Gremlin. We know our differences make us stronger and that our best ideas and contributions can come from anyone at any level.
- We Care about Collaboration
Gremlin is strongest when we come together as one team with shared goals. Be the glue, not the glitter. But as a remote company, teamwork and collaboration won’t happen by accident. We approach every challenge as a shared challenge. We rely on each other for diverse perspectives and creative ideas. We celebrate our wins as a team.
- We Care about Results
Be high productivity, low drama. Results matter. To keep our pace, everyone owns the outcomes of their actions and takes action when needed. We reward speed over perfection. We empower each other to iterate and experiment.You are welcome at Gremlin for who you are. The more voices and ideas we have represented in our business, the more we will all flourish, contribute, and build a more reliable internet. Gremlin is a place where everyone can grow and is encouraged. However you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this sounds like a role that would make you excited to come into work everyday. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep building a more reliable internet by building and designing tools used by the best companies in the world.
You are welcome at Gremlin for who you are. The more voices and ideas we have represented in our business, the more we will all flourish, contribute, and build a more reliable internet. Gremlin is a place where everyone can grow and is encouraged. However you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this sounds like a role that would make you excited to come into work every day. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep building a more reliable internet by building and designing tools used by the best companies in the world.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Learn more about how Gremlin is defining the practice of Chaos Engineering:
- Engineering for Chaos: Preparing for Disaster | Kolton Andrus | TEDxAsburyPark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BasOy54QGKo