Gremlin’s mission is to make the Internet more reliable. We’re leading the way in the exciting, growing practice of Chaos Engineering, for enterprises like Target, Twilio and JP Morgan Chase that are building complex, distributed SaaS applications whose success depends on uptime. The Gremlin platform uncovers risks and weaknesses that aren’t addressed by traditional DevOps and IT operations processes and best practices. If paving a new path forward at the leading edge of technology sounds exciting to you, we should talk.
About the Role of Lead UX Designer
Designers at Gremlin play a critical role at every step of the product development process, from prioritization, to ideation, prototyping, experimentation, and user activation. We look for designers who think deeply, communicate clearly, and thrive collaborating across roles and expertise to create a better user experience for our customers.
In this role, you'll get to:
- Simplify the existing product user experience and be the driving force behind long term user experience strategy
- Design software to assist Gremlin to be the most effective in making our strategic decisions related to design and UX
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Engineering, and Customer Success to help identify the needs of our customers, tirelessly iterate, and ship world-class solutions.
- Influence prioritization and resourcing with the management team and cross-functional partners to tackle design goals.
- Partner with engineering throughout the product development cycle, from initial concepts to launch and post-release
- Partner with product managers, to solicit user input, and use it to shape product development efforts
- Define and reinforce the user experience culture and expand the user experience practice at Gremlin and create intuitive designs for users.
- Lead conversations around customer workflows for optimal user experiences
- Reconciling how different user experience workflows will fit together in the overall product user experience, architecting the simplification of existing disparate but related workflows
We'll expect you to have:
- 5+ years experience as a member of a product design team in a lead role
- Experience conducting customer research and user testing to improve designs
- Experience in Behavioural Design
- Experience designing Enterprise SaaS solutions
- Proficient with design and interactive prototyping tools (We work in Figma)
- Experience working in Scrum/Agile development environments
- Experience working in a startup atmosphere
- Experience in SRE, DevOps, Continuous Delivery, Business Continuity, or Disaster Recovery a plus
- Experience in the observability or data visualization space is a BIG plus
*If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.*
- Competitive compensation
- 401k Match
- Stock Options
- Flexible PTO
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Team Activities (currently virtual due to Covid-19)
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As “Call Leaders,” they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and resolving global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, in 2016 they decided to make what they had learned available to a wider set of enterprise companies and launched Gremlin.
Since then, Gremlin has built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn from one another while pushing the entire industry forward to new heights. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
At Gremlin, we value:
- OUR CUSTOMERS - We won't be a company if our customers aren't thrilled. We live and die by our customers, so they come first.
- ACTION - We favor small experiments to gather data rather than over-analyzing a situation. Getting stuff done always beats talking about getting stuff done.
- CONTEXT, NOT CONTROL - We hire autonomous adults with good judgement. We provide them with the context to make smart decisions. We don't micromanage.
- BEING VOCALLY SELF-CRITICAL - We all make mistakes, we all have ways in which we can improve. We own that upfront, and honestly discuss ways in which we've personally made mistakes and can get better. Then, we encourage and help one another succeed at doing so.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION - We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution. We recognize that systemic racism and gender bias are real and that we aren’t perfect, so we actively work to encourage the difficult conversations, to listen, and to change as we discover our blind spots so that Gremlin is a company all of us feel proud to be a part of.
- FRUGALITY - We are working to build a profitable company and create a new practice in the industry. We spend money on the right things, like making sure employees have the tools they need to be successful and the company has what it needs; we simply choose not to waste what we have and not to buy what we don’t actually need.
You are welcome at Gremlin for who you are. The more voices and ideas we have represented in our business, the more we will all flourish, contribute, and build a more reliable internet. Gremlin is a place where everyone can grow and is encouraged. However you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this sounds like a role that would make you excited to come into work everyday. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep building a more reliable internet by building and designing tools used by the best companies in the world.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Learn more about how Gremlin is defining the practice of Chaos Engineering:
- Engineering for Chaos: Preparing for Disaster | Kolton Andrus | TEDxAsburyPark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BasOy54QGKo