Senior Product Marketing Manager
Employees at Gremlin have the unique chance to be at the forefront of a new IT practice, Chaos Engineering, just as the industry is beginning to adopt it. Our team is growing and you have an opportunity to join us as we transform how companies like Target, Twilio, National Bank of Australia, and many more build reliable software.
“Gartner anticipates that 40% of organizations will implement chaos engineering practices as part of DevOps initiatives by 2023, reducing unplanned downtime by 20%.”
Chaos Engineering helps engineers test large computer systems to discover system problems before those problems cause outages. This is a foundational approach for every company that provides mission-critical, always-online services. Gremlin provides a platform that makes the practice much faster to implement and easier to use for both large and small enterprise customers.
About the Role of the Senior Product Marketing Manager
Product Marketing operates at the intersection of product management, sales, and the larger marketing organization. The role builds the GTM strategy, tells the story, and executes the plan.
You have 5+ years of platform, developer, or technical product marketing experience. You've worked in the trenches long enough to know what motivates developers, and you may even have a collection of technical side projects that you love to talk about. You're familiar with DevOps and the move to the cloud.
You have strong verbal and written communication skills and have a knack for articulating complex technical concepts into tangible stories that resonate with a technical end user as well as their leadership. You’re keen to attract the right audience and are comfortable pivoting tactics based on data-driven insights. You’ve developed, executed, and measured end-to-end marketing campaigns.
In this role, you’ll collaborate closely with these teams and other areas of the company to develop and implement marketing strategies, content, and programs that increase awareness and adoption of Gremlin while advocating the practices of reliability and Chaos Engineering.
- Develop compelling messaging that conveys the value of Gremlin to our key markets, industry verticals, and target personas
- Create engaging developer-facing content - web pages, emails, ads, webinars, blog posts, videos, presentations
- Assist the Sales team with training, sales collateral, product positioning, and competitive differentiation.
- Build full-funnel integrated marketing campaigns (identify goals, risks, audience, messaging, and tactics) to drive new developer interest and MQLs
- Develop collateral including white papers, blogs, and presentations
- Launch platform updates and drive release-based marketing efforts
- Directly engage with the developer community at industry events and in online forums
- Support developer events and run contests to encourage new app development
Key Skills and Attributes
*If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.*
- 5+ years of product marketing or equivalent experience with a track record of mastering technical markets and products
- Recent hands-on experience marketing B2B software, ideally targeted at enterprise IT operations, SRE, or network teams
- Compelling writing, speaking, and visual storytelling skills. Your work will appear in our blog, on our website, in sales presentations, and at events that we host
- An analytical eye and comfort making SFDC (and sometimes excel) perform great feats of glory
- A feel for an original story angle and a natural inclination to expand what is possible with Gremlin's marketing
Nice to Have
- A background or degree in computer/network engineering
- Familiarity with Github, Jamstack, and Datastudio
- Experience working remotely or at a company with a remote culture
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As “Call Leaders,” they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and resolving global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, in 2016 they decided to make what they had learned available to a wider set of enterprise companies and launched Gremlin.
Since then, Gremlin has built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn from one another while pushing the entire industry forward to new heights. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
At Gremlin, we value:
- OUR CUSTOMERS - We won't be a company if our customers aren't thrilled. We live and die by our customers, so they come first.
- ACTION - We favor small experiments to gather data rather than over-analyzing a situation. Getting stuff done always beats talking about getting stuff done.
- CONTEXT, NOT CONTROL - We hire autonomous adults with good judgment. We provide them with the context to make smart decisions. We don't micromanage.
- BEING VOCALLY SELF-CRITICAL - We all make mistakes, we all have ways in which we can improve. We own that upfront, and honestly discuss ways in which we've personally made mistakes and can get better. Then, we encourage and help one another succeed at doing so.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION - We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution. We recognize that systemic racism and gender bias are real and that we aren’t perfect, so we actively work to encourage the difficult conversations, to listen, and to change as we discover our blind spots so that Gremlin is a company all of us feel proud to be a part of.
- FRUGALITY - We are working to build a profitable company and create a new practice in the industry. We spend money on the right things, like making sure employees have the tools they need to be successful and the company has what it needs; we simply choose not to waste what we have and not to buy what we don’t actually need.
You are welcome at Gremlin for who you are. The more voices and ideas we have represented in our business, the more we will all flourish, contribute, and build a more reliable internet. Gremlin is a place where everyone can grow and is encouraged. However you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this sounds like a role that would make you excited to come into work everyday. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep building a more reliable internet by building and designing tools used by the best companies in the world.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Learn more about how Gremlin is defining the practice of Chaos Engineering:
- Engineering for Chaos: Preparing for Disaster | Kolton Andrus | TEDxAsburyPark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BasOy54QGKo