Senior Engineering Manager
Gremlin exists to help enterprises create more reliable systems. Our founders are industry experts in reliability who previously did this work at Amazon and Netflix and wanted to spread the power of Chaos Engineering, which helps you discover potential system problems before they cause outages.
While some large companies may write Chaos Engineering tests in-house, doing so takes a lot of time and money. Gremlin provides a platform that makes the power of Chaos Engineering much faster to implement and easier to use.
Employees at Gremlin have the unique chance to be at the forefront of a new field within IT, just as it is starting to be emphasized and adopted across the industry.
About the Role of Senior Engineering Manager
Gremlin is seeking a Senior Engineering Manager to lead a cross-functional team in taking our product to the next level. We’re looking for a leader who can navigate ambiguity, and lead a group of engineers, a product manager, and a product designer towards valuable solutions to customer problems. We’re seeking a leader who has experience supporting a strong and diverse team to do their best work.
In addition to traditional engineering management responsibilities, this role has a strong leadership component that allows for more direction-setting. With teams organized according to product areas, there are many opportunities to make decisions that directly impact the trajectory of the company.
Applicants with previous engineering management experience and a product-focused background would be ideal candidates. In addition, product managers with experience in engineering and people management would be equally qualified.
- Develop a well-functioning, coordinated leadership team. Work with a product manager, designer, technical leadership, and the engineers to create innovative solutions to customer problems.
- Guide the creation of our cutting edge Chaos Engineering product.
- Set goals and objectives to clarify direction.
- Break down and manage projects into small increments.
- Improve team and engineering-wide process. We write everything down!
- Further our Diversity and Inclusion core values into every aspect of engineering operations. Ask us what we’ve done already and what we are still working on.
- Support and coach the people on your team.
- Engage with customers to learn about their problems.
- Use product metrics to monitor our successes and understand our failures.
- Manage effectively within a remote-by-default culture (we’ve been doing this for years and Engineering has no geographic center).
Key Skills and Attributes
*If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.*
- Our product serves a technical audience, so you should have coding experience, although you won’t be expected to code in this role.
- People management experience. We believe that healthy software requires healthy teams to back it. You’ll have a lot of influence on how we build thoughtful and inclusive teams.
- Project management experience, particularly with incremental project delivery.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity.
- Basic understanding of microservices, cloud native environments, and tech trends.
- Understanding of the software development lifecycle (i.e. change management practices, source control, and automated build and deployment pipelines).
- Reliability engineering experience, or chaos engineering experience. Have been on-call and participated in an incident management program.
- Product engineering experience.
- Product management experience.
- Experience working on and managing a distributed team.
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As “Call Leaders” they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and rectifying global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, they captured their learnings in the Gremlin product and launched the company in 2016.
Since then, we’ve built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn and bring their knowledge over from other companies. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
At Gremlin we value:
- CUSTOMER FOCUS - We won't be a company if our customers aren't blown away. We live and die by our customers, so they come first.
- BIAS FOR ACTION - We favor small experiments to gather data rather than over analyzing a situation. Getting stuff done always beats talking about getting stuff done.
- CONTEXT, NOT CONTROL - We hire autonomous adults with good judgement. We provide them with the context to make smart decisions. We don't micromanage. If we have to babysit you, you don't belong on our team.
- VOCALLY SELF CRITICAL - We all make mistakes, we all have ways in which we can improve. We own that up front, and honestly discuss ways in which we've made mistakes and can get better.
- DIVERSITY & INCLUSION - We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution. We empower everyone to share their ideas throughout the organization and succeed based on the effort they put forth.
- FRUGALITY - The default state for a start-up is 'dead'. We're working to build a profitable company. In order to do so, we must be wise in how we deploy our capital. We as employees have paid for that capital with equity, so wasting it is wasting our own money.
If you share our values and are passionate about building and designing tools used by the best companies in the world, we'd love to hear from you.