Senior Engineering Manager
Employees at Gremlin have the unique chance to be at the forefront of a new IT practice, Chaos Engineering, just as the industry is beginning to adopt it. Our team is growing and you have an opportunity to join us as we transform how companies like Expedia, Target, Qualtrics, and many more build reliable software.
“Gartner anticipates that 40% of organizations will implement chaos engineering practices as part of DevOps initiatives by 2023, reducing unplanned downtime by 20%.”
Chaos Engineering helps engineers test large computer systems to discover potential system problems before those problems cause outages. This is a foundational approach for every company that provides mission critical, always online services. Gremlin provides a platform that makes the practice much faster to implement and easier to use for both large and small enterprise customers.
About the Role of Senior Engineering Manager
Gremlin is seeking a Senior Engineering Manager to lead a strong, diverse engineering team in developing a next generation product created by engineers, for engineers. We’re looking for a leader who can draw on their prior experience in the industry to facilitate generating technical solutions to complex problems by starting with our customers and working backwards.
In addition to traditional engineering management responsibilities, this role has a strong focus on promoting communication and information sharing across the organization. Candidates should have experience working effectively at a 51 - 100 person startup, both within Engineering and externally. They should strive to develop processes that enable context sharing between Engineering and the broader Gremlin team. This role will help ensure engineers understand customer needs and can make informed decisions to best surprise and delight them.
It’s also imperative that candidates not only understand the importance of supporting, mentoring and growing a diverse and inclusive team, but have a plan of action to do just that. We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution.
- Work effectively across the various departments to empower engineers to effectively and efficiently develop innovative solutions to customer problems.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and skilled at breaking down complex solutions into incremental, valuable deliverables at a consistent cadence
- Improve the effectiveness and efficiency of team and engineering-wide processes. Experimentation is always encouraged at Gremlin so long as it’s paired with evaluation.
- Weave the spirit of our Diversity and Inclusion core value into every aspect of engineering; from recruiting to retrospectives and ideation to implementation.
- Effectively manage both projects and engineers from afar. Gremlin has been remote by default since inception and no geographic center.
- Own and drive a high bar for the quality of the product.
- Support, mentor and grow the people on your team.
Key Skills and Attributes
- Ability to understand and evaluate the technical tradeoffs, even if it means digging into the code. Our product serves a technical audience and requires technical folks to build it.
- People management experience. We believe healthy software requires healthy teams and are seeking a leader who understands how to get work done while supporting the people who are doing the work.
- Project management experience. We need a leader who can break down complex solutions and deliver them in valuable increments on a regular cadence.
- An in-depth understanding of what it takes to develop software informed by years of being a practitioner. Empathy stems from experience, and being able to relate to the trials and tribulations of software development in the modern work is a learned skill.
Nice To Have
- Experience building and operating reliable software at scale means candidates more intuitively understand what Gremlin is building. This is especially true if they have spent time on-call and/or participated in an incident management program.
- Experience working on and managing a distributed team.
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As “Call Leaders” they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and resolving global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, in 2016 they decided to make what they had learned available to a wider set of enterprise companies and launched Gremlin.
Since then, Gremlin has built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn from one another while pushing the entire industry forward to new heights. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
At Gremlin we value:
- OUR CUSTOMERS - We won't be a company if our customers aren't thrilled. We live and die by our customers, so they come first.
- ACTION - We favor small experiments to gather data rather than over analyzing a situation. Getting stuff done always beats talking about getting stuff done.
- CONTEXT, NOT CONTROL - We hire autonomous adults with good judgement. We provide them with the context to make smart decisions. We don't micromanage.
- BEING VOCALLY SELF-CRITICAL - We all make mistakes, we all have ways in which we can improve. We own that up front, and honestly discuss ways in which we've personally made mistakes and can get better. Then, we encourage and help one another succeed at doing so.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION - We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution. We recognize that systemic racism and gender bias are real and that we aren’t perfect, so we actively work to encourage the difficult conversations, to listen, and to change as we discover our blind spots so that Gremlin is a company all of us feel proud to be a part of.
- FRUGALITY - We are working to build a profitable company and create a new practice in the industry. We spend money on the right things, like making sure employees have the tools they need to be successful and the company has what it needs; we simply choose not to waste what we have and not to buy what we don’t actually need.
You are welcome at Gremlin for who you are. The more voices and ideas we have represented in our business, the more we will all flourish, contribute, and build a more reliable internet. Gremlin is a place where everyone can grow and is encouraged. However you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this sounds like a role that would make you excited to come into work every day. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep building a more reliable internet by building and designing tools used by the best companies in the world.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Learn more about how Gremlin is defining the practice of Chaos Engineering:
Engineering for Chaos: Preparing for Disaster | Kolton Andrus | TEDxAsburyPark