Green Bits is the leading provider of retail Point of Sale solutions to the legal cannabis industry. This exciting market is rapidly growing, and Green Bits is growing with it. Our product covers everything from the register to inventory management to integration with state tracking systems. Our expertise in helping our retail customers stay compliant with state rules is what sets cannabis retail apart from all other types of retail, and what sets Green Bits apart from the competition.
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to join one of our product teams. In this role you will be building mission critical parts of our system while also coaching and mentoring junior members of the team. You will work with product management to understand our customers' needs and find the right solutions.
Qualities we value in this position:
- Software craftsmanship - getting the details right, building for testability and reliability from the ground up
- System design - defining the architecture and components that allow us to grow and evolve rapidly
- Cross-functional engagement - being a valued collaborator in achieving organizational goals
- Pragmatism - staying focused on solving the problem at hand while keeping long-term architectural needs in mind
- Generalism - ready to engage anywhere in the stack: building client-side apps, designing APIs, or optimizing the data layer
As a fast-moving startup, we value people who can take on whatever comes their way, figure it out, and get it done. But these are the typical responsibilities:
- Partner with product managers and designers - deeply appreciate the problem; propose thoughtful, pragmatic, creative solutions.
- Design and implement solutions that support high scale, 24x7 operations
- Engage throughout the stack, from front-end design problems to back-end scalability challenges
- Stay on top of industry standards, technologies, frameworks, tools. Have great judgment on when to bring new ones into our world.
- Provide sound estimates on planned work.
- Be able to work effectively in a large (sometimes messy) legacy codebase.
- Understand the health of the team’s codebase. Make good business cases for reducing tech debt.
- Be a resource to the rest of the team - actively coach and mentor, lead by example, perform constructive, detailed reviews of designs and code.
- Support our agile processes, teaching them as needed.
Just as we don’t have fixed responsibilities, we do not stand on rigid qualifications. As guidance, people with this kind of background tend to do well:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Significant experience with SaaS solutions
- Experience with or ready to learn and master Ruby (on Rails)
- Expertise in building highly scalable, distributed, loosely coupled systems
- Experience building business critical software that integrates with third party system
Nice to have
- A BS (or better) in Computer Science
- Experience building retail/e-commerce systems
Unfortunately, due to the Federal Prohibition of Cannabis, only applicants authorized to work in the United States on a full time basis without requiring sponsorship for employment visa will be considered, as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.