Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is seeking an Academic Support Teacher - High School (2021-22) for the 2021-22 school year.
The Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is a high-performing, innovative charter public school in Newark NJ, serving students from Pre-K to 12th grade on campuses across the city of Newark. Our mission is to prepare Newark’s students for success in college and beyond. Currently, the historical college matriculation rate for GOLCS is 79% - nearly twice the national average for economically underrepresented students.
Our model is based on the following guiding principles that guide our work daily –
- Creating a community that is built upon genuine and meaningful relationships.
- Being surgical in our approach to differentiation of instruction and support of ALL students and team members.
- Setting and exceeding high expectations for academic growth and character development for all students, in preparation for success in college and beyond.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Cultivating an environment where all students and staff are known and valued and are provided the support and compassion they need to be successful.
- Delivering individualized academic support to our students daily, through tutoring provided by AmeriCorps Education Fellowship program.
- Pairing rigorous curriculum and teaching with intense personal support and high academic expectations for students. Our students, for example, are encouraged to take multiple AP classes before they graduate high school. Our alumni receive intensive support from our college counseling team, while in college.
Academic Support Teachers provide targeted academic intervention to students at Great Oaks Legacy Charter School by pushing into whole group classroom settings and/or providing small group instruction.
Academic Support Teachers are responsible for preparing each of our students for college success through rigorous instructional support and maintaining consistently high expectations for conduct. Academic Support are models of the hard work, desire for learning, and self-control that we expect our students to learn and display.
Academic Support Teachers are an integral part of the educational team with the primary duty of providing academic help to students based on need. They may also support with classroom management, providing one-on-one assistance to students, and providing behavior management support where needed. Additional duties may be assigned by the Campus Director.
- Relentless work ethic.
- Belief that all students have what it takes to be successful.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent from a competitive college or university or paraprofessional certification.
- Demonstrated mastery of content knowledge.
- Extremely strong classroom management abilities.
- Experience developing curriculum or potential to lead curricular development strongly preferred.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP & EVALUATION
Academic Support Teachers report to the Campus Director and receive feedback through observations and check-ins with the designated Instructional Leader, Dean, or Campus Director.
GREAT OAKS LEGACY PHILOSOPHY
Our students rise to conquer challenges with the help of individualized, whole-person support from the Great Oaks Legacy Charter School community including educators, tutors, peers, families and staff. Our mission is that each child ultimately graduates from college.
The Great Oaks Legacy Charter School ensures its students are ready to take on the world, therefore:
- We give our students the academic skills and socio-emotional support they need to build upon their own strengths and abilities in order to be ready and able to achieve their dreams.
- Our employees agree to take responsibility for their part in reversing negative outcomes for students, to work relentlessly to support our efforts to engage each and every student, and to uphold our mission to prepare every student to succeed in college to the extent possible.
- It is a given that all staff work very hard. Our employees acknowledge that they will do more than just work hard. Employees agree to seek – through feedback, professional development, and coaching – to continue to develop and improve their job performance while employed by the School. At Great Oaks Legacy, an ongoing quest for improvement is considered essential for all staff members.
As Great Oaks Legacy continues its journey towards anti-racism, we can be certain that our school community is ready for the work. As an organization, we are striving to be more intentional and connected to a larger, clearer mission for an educational experience that empowers scholars to be the change they want to see in the world.
GOLCS is committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. Our staff and student population is diverse and culturally rich. We believe that racial justice and equity is critical to our mission of preparing students for success in college and beyond. We strive to be an organization that is diverse, equitable, inclusive, and elevates our student voices in preparing them for life and college.
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package, including rich health insurance plans, professional development and coaching, and retirement benefits as part of the state pension plan.
Great Oaks Legacy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.