Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is seeking an experienced High School Social Worker (2021-22) for the 2021-22 school year.
Great Oaks Legacy Overview
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is a high-performing, innovative public charter school in Newark NJ, serving students from Pre-K to 12th grade on multiple campuses across the city. Our mission is to prepare students for success in college. We provide all children with the support they need - inclusive of resources that acknowledge and address systemic inequities - to be empowered to thrive.
We have high academic and behavioral expectations for our students. Our students, for example, are encouraged to take multiple AP classes before they graduate. We bridge the educational opportunity gap by supporting rigorous academics with daily individualized tutoring within a community committed to supporting equity and diversity.
These three principles guide our work, every day, in support of our students and mission:
- Creating a community that is built upon genuine and meaningful relationships
- Being surgical in our approach to differentiation of instruction and support of all students and team members
- Setting and exceed high expectations for academic growth and character development for all students, in preparation for success in college and beyond
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the school’s efforts in ensuring that students are emotionally supported through solution focused modalities
- Provide individual and group counseling to address academic, personal, and/or interpersonal challenges, as per Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and/or as needed
- Work collaboratively with School Leadership Team, Special Education Team, Teachers, Staff to help develop solutions to student, group, and school-wide issues
- Prepare social histories for students as part of IEP evaluation process
- Coordinate services with external providers and link families to appropriate community resources as needed
- Provide crisis intervention, referrals and case management services to student and families
- Conduct home and community visits as needed to assess student and family needs
- Complete documentation, progress notes and reports as required by state, local and federal mandates and ethical responsibilities
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement meetings/workshops involving a variety of topics and personnel
- In conjunction with School Psychologist, serve as liaison on child welfare issues and share expertise with school team
- Attend regular staff meetings and professional development workshops
- Provide workshops to school staff and parents on variety of areas relating to child social/emotional development
- Participates in departmental and school-wide events
- Is highly visible and present during school/after-school hours
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- Belief that all students have what it takes to be successful.
- Relentless work ethic, passion, and commitment to urban education.
- MSW degree. LMSW or LCSW licensing with a minimum of one year of relevant experience required and NJ School Social Work Certificate required
- Passionate and mission driven. Having a “Whatever It Takes” attitude is a must
- Documented track record of personal and professional success
- Extensive knowledge of child development and interventions
- Experience in therapeutic modalities related to children and families in traditionally underserved communities, including assessment and treatment of trauma
- Experience working within a school environment or extensive work experience with adolescent children
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to work with parents, students, faculty, support staff, external government representatives, as well as school community groups
- Familiar with best practices in working with students with social-emotional needs
GREAT OAKS LEGACY PHILOSOPHY
Our students rise to conquer challenges with the help of individualized, whole-person support from the Great Oaks Legacy Charter School community including educators, tutors, peers, families and staff. Our mission is that each child ultimately graduates from college.
The Great Oaks Legacy Charter School ensures its students are ready to take on the world, therefore:
- We give our students the academic skills and socio-emotional support they need to build upon their own strengths and abilities in order to be ready and able to achieve their dreams.
- Our employees agree to take responsibility for their part in reversing negative outcomes for students, to work relentlessly to support our efforts to engage each and every student, and to uphold our mission to prepare every student to succeed in college to the extent possible.
- It is a given that all staff work very hard. Our employees acknowledge that they will do more than just work hard. Employees agree to seek – through feedback, professional development, and coaching – to continue to develop and improve their job performance while employed by the School. At Great Oaks Legacy, an ongoing quest for improvement is considered essential for all staff members.
As Great Oaks Legacy continues its journey towards anti-racism, we can be certain that our school community is ready for the work. As an organization, we are striving to be more intentional and connected to a larger, clearer mission for an educational experience that empowers scholars to be the change they want to see in the world.
GOLCS is committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. Our staff and student population is diverse and culturally rich. We believe that racial justice and equity is critical to our mission of preparing students for success in college and beyond. We strive to be an organization that is diverse, equitable, inclusive, and elevates our student voices in preparing them for life and college.
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package, including rich health insurance plans, professional development and coaching, and retirement benefits as part of the state pension plan.
Great Oaks Legacy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.