About Great Oaks Charter Schools
At Great Oaks, students will shape the world, not be defined by it. Therefore, we believe that children learn best through a combination of project-based, authentic learning experiences, and direct instruction to support skill development and accelerate learning. Instruction and culture are grounded in our design principles of Mastery, Leadership, and Community. As part of the model, Great Oaks Americorps Fellows provide students with additional opportunities to engage in critical content, which helps to close academic achievement gaps and level the playing field. We are seeking talented, tenacious people who share our belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
About Great Oaks Charter School – Bridgeport
Great Oaks (GO) Charter School - Bridgeport opened in the Fall of 2014 and has a focus on serving students who are English Language Learners. In the upcoming 2021-2022 school year, Great Oaks – Bridgeport will serve grades 6th through 12th.
The ESL Teacher will support our diverse student population by leading small-group and individual interventions for our English Language Learners (ELL), special education students and general education students. In addition, the ESL Teacher will support the general education classrooms with push in support for English Language Learners. The ESL teacher will also assist the specialized services team by creating and delivering professional development to classroom teachers to help them implement strategies in their classroom for ELLs.
Key responsibilities include:
Drive student outcomes by:
- Working closely with classroom teachers to support students through a variety of strategies, including occasional co-teaching and pushing into classrooms
- Collaborating with the Special Services team and Tutor Corps to build differentiated learning plans for all scholars
- Maintaining consistent communications with families regarding student progress
- Holding regular Office Hours and Homework Help Center
- Ensuring that school-wide implementation of accommodations is consistent and upheld with fidelity
Planning and delivering strong instruction by:
- Leading small groups and individual instruction for English Language Learners
- Leading interventions in literacy for students with special needs and general education students
- Constantly Assessing the needs and growth of students and calibrating instruction to meet student needs accordingly
- Administration and analysis of appropriate assessments and use the results to inform curriculum development and classroom instruction
- Using a multitude of instructional strategies that are academically rigorous and highly engaging
- Executing detailed lesson plans mapped to specific content standards
- Taking responsibility for student progress; constantly working to respond to students’ need
Competencies and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have proven success in implementing high-quality instruction that led to the improvement of student achievement in an urban school. S/he will possess exceptional relationship building skills and the ability to communicate clearly to multiple stakeholders. The successful candidate will also have:
- A strong academic record with a Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university required; advanced degree is preferred
- At least two years of experience improving student achievement at an urban school
- ESL or Literacy certification or certification in progress is required
- Knowledge of local and state mandates
- A strong belief that all students can succeed
- A do-whatever-it takes attitude including a willingness to work occasionally on the weekend or in the evening
- An exceptional ability to respond well to feedback and implement it immediately
Great Oaks provides a competitive compensation and benefits package; exact compensation will vary based on experience and education.
Starting Salary $48,000; may change depending on experience
This position is for the 2021-2022 school year and the successful candidate will start in the beginning of August 2021. Selected candidates will be contacted to discuss the hiring process. Please be aware that Great Oaks Charter School operates Monday through Friday with expected hours to be between 7:15 and 3:45 pm.