At Great Oaks, students will shape the world, not be defined by it. We believe that children learn best through a combination of project-based, authentic learning experiences, and direct instruction to support skill development and accelerate learning. Instruction and culture are grounded in our design principles of Mastery, Leadership, and Community. As part of the model,
Great Oaks Americorps Fellows provide students with additional opportunities to engage in critical content, which helps to close academic achievement gaps and level the playing field. In addition to providing daily content tutoring and mentorship, a small percentage of Fellows are also enrolled in the Great Oaks Teacher Residency. We are seeking talented, tenacious people who share our belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
About Great Oaks Charter School – Bridgeport
Great Oaks (GO) Charter School - Bridgeport opened in the Fall of 2014 and has a focus on serving students who are English Language Learners. In the upcoming 2021-2022 school year, Great Oaks – Bridgeport will serve grades 6th through 12th.
The Instructional Coach is a critical lever in improving student achievement. The role of the coach is to build fellow capacity and their understanding of instructional practices as related to Common Core, Data Driven Instruction, and Intervention support. An instructional coach is a learner who models continuous improvement, lifelong learning, and goes above and beyond to ensure student success. The instructional coach works collaboratively as a team with members of the Great Oaks Bridgeport Academics Team. The Fellow Instructional coach will promote reflection, provide guidance and structure where needed, and focus on strengths, collaboration and common issues of concern. The Fellow Instructional Coach is responsible for ensuring high-quality intervention instruction in tutorials and classrooms through modeling, professional development, and and providing feedback to fellows at Great Oaks Bridgeport . The instructional coach will demonstrate and model a passion for urban education reform and leadership. This is NOT a supervisory position and DOES NOT include full evaluation of individuals.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Model lessons on a daily/weekly basis.
- Support the instructional development of all Fellows in understanding the CCSS curriculum and varied assessments, the Great Oaks Model Framework, and data analysis.
- Build strong relationships with Fellows, Teachers, Administrators, and other coaches.
- Provide direction and coordination for how the curriculum is taught consistent with Great Oaks Bridgeport initiatives and recognized best instructional practices.
- Create an articulated schedule with the Director of Curriculum and Intervention.
- Assist Fellows in understanding the Great Oaks Bridgeport mission and core values.
- Provide support to collaborative teams within building.
- Assist Fellows with resources, materials, tools, information, etc. to support intervention planning, including new resources.
- Support Fellows in using data to improve instruction and intervention on all levels.
- Closely work with The Academic Team to develop Data use strategies
- Assist fellows with understanding planning and pacing of lessons, the development of differentiated lessons, and the selection of best practices to meet the needs of their students.
- Support Fellows by helping with the ―strategic how of teaching -- share multiple instructional strategies/processes with Fellows during planning times.
- Informally observe (non-evaluative) lessons and provide feedback for a fellow’s professional growth and students’ success.
- Develop staff members’ knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors through a variety of strategies and methods
Competencies and Qualifications
The successful candidate will be an experienced educational teacher/coach with proven success in an academic improvement. They will bring the ability to deliver outstanding educational outcomes and will possess exceptional relationship building skills and the ability to communicate clearly to multiple stakeholders. The successful candidate will also bring some or all of the following:
- Self confidence, flexibility and the ability to respond well to feedback
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Impact-oriented and a belief that all students can succeed
- Highly collaborative
- Ability to navigate a complex inter-institutional partnership
- Strong project management and team management skills
- Superb organizational and self-management skills and an ability to handle multiple responsibilities effectively and thoughtfully
- Awareness of and comfort with issues of diversity, specifically around race, class, and gender; ability to engage in and facilitate discussion about diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment where the ability to multi-task and prioritize work is essential
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written; ability to provide constructive feedback to staff members.
- A do-whatever-it takes attitude doing whatever is necessary to help all students achieve academic success including a willingness to work occasionally on the weekend or in the evening
- Familiarity with K-6 education
- K-6 Certification
- Experience working with urban, underserved youth
- Previous teaching experience
- Previous curriculum experience
- Prior experience with tutoring or mentoring or teacher education
- Master’s degree in Education or relevant field experience
- Experience leading adults - through professional development, director supervision or coordination of key efforts
- 092 Certification or eligibility to become certified
Great Oaks provides a competitive compensation and benefits package; exact compensation will vary based on experience and education.
This position is for the 2021-2022 school year and the successful candidate will start in the beginning of August 2021. Selected candidates will be contacted to discuss the hiring process. Please be aware that Great Oaks Charter School operates Monday through Friday with expected hours to be between 7:15 and 3:45 pm.