School Social Worker
About Great Oaks Charter Schools
At Great Oaks, students will shape the world, not be defined by it. Therefore, we believe that children learn best through a combination of project-based, authentic learning experiences, and direct instruction to support skill development and accelerate learning. Instruction and culture are grounded in our design principles of Mastery, Leadership, and Community. As part of the model, Great Oaks Americorps Fellows provide students with additional opportunities to engage in critical content, which helps to close academic achievement gaps and level the playing field. We are seeking talented, tenacious people who share our belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
About Great Oaks Charter School – Bridgeport
Great Oaks (GO) Charter School - Bridgeport opened in the Fall of 2014 and has a focus on serving students who are English Language Learners. In the upcoming 2021-2022 school year, Great Oaks – Bridgeport will serve grades 6th through 12th.
The School Social Worker is an integral part of the Student Support Service Team who ensures that every student receives the support they need to overcome hurdles that may negatively impact their academic success and their socio-emotional well-being. The School Social Worker provides counseling to students and families, manages crises and facilitates access to outside resources as needed. The School Social Worker works with our entire community including students, families, the Student Support Services Team and administrators to ensure that every student has the support and tools necessary to be successful.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide individual and small group counseling to address personal, interpersonal, emotional and academic challenges
- Provide crisis counseling to students and families as needed
- Coordinate the services of external recourses and students and their families, to provide additional support as needed
- Accurately complete all paperwork related to provided services in a timely matter as mandated by the state of Connecticut and school policies
- Leading tutorial groups, co-teaching sessions, intervention programs, and professional development sessions to equip teachers and tutors with strategies to successfully work with students who need additional support
- Working closely with special education teachers, general education teachers and tutors to ensure they understand the needs of their students and how to implement appropriate accommodations
- Assessing and reviewing the needs of incoming and existing students and monitoring student performance data
- Supervising social work interns and providing support as necessary
Competencies and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have proven success in supporting students in a school setting that led to the improvement of student achievement in an urban school. S/he will possess exceptional relationship building skills and the ability to partner effectively with colleagues, parents, families, and community members. The successful candidate will also have:
- Master's in Social Work, with LMSW license (LCSW preferred)
- CSDE Certification for Social Worker or ability to demonstrate criteria for licensure
- Experience in crisis management in a school setting and an excellent ability to work compassionately with children and families going through trauma
- Excellent knowledge of child development and child behavior along with superb clinical skills
- A commitment to meeting the needs of every child in our diverse student population.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- A strong belief that all students can succeed.
- Grit; ability to persevere and succeed at challenging tasks.
- Exceptional ability to respond well to feedback and implement it immediately.
Great Oaks provides a competitive compensation and benefits package; exact compensation will vary based on experience and education
This position is for the 2021-2022 school year and the successful candidate will start in the beginning of August 2021. Selected candidates will be contacted to set up a video interview.