Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is seeking an experienced School Social Worker for the 2021-22 school year.
Great Oaks Legacy Overview
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is a high-performing, innovative public charter school in Newark NJ, serving students from Pre-K to 12th grade on multiple campuses across the city. Our mission is to prepare students for success in college. We provide all children with the support they need - inclusive of resources that acknowledge and address systemic inequities - to be empowered to thrive.
We have high academic and behavioral expectations for our students. Our students, for example, are encouraged to take multiple AP classes before they graduate. We bridge the educational opportunity gap by supporting rigorous academics with daily individualized tutoring within a community committed to supporting equity and diversity.
These three principles guide our work, every day, in support of our students and mission:
- Creating a community that is built upon genuine and meaningful relationships
- Being surgical in our approach to differentiation of instruction and support of all students and team members
- Setting and exceed high expectations for academic growth and character development for all students, in preparation for success in college and beyond
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the school’s efforts in ensuring that students are emotionally supported through solution focused modalities
- Provide individual and group counseling to address academic, personal, and/or interpersonal challenges, as per Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and/or as needed
- Work collaboratively with School Leadership Team, Special Education Team, Teachers, Staff to help develop solutions to student, group, and school-wide issues
- Prepare social histories for students as part of IEP evaluation process
- Coordinate services with external providers and link families to appropriate community resources as needed
- Provide crisis intervention, referrals and case management services to student and families
- Conduct home and community visits as needed to assess student and family needs
- Complete documentation, progress notes and reports as required by state, local and federal mandates and ethical responsibilities
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement meetings/workshops involving a variety of topics and personnel
- In conjunction with School Psychologist, serve as liaison on child welfare issues and share expertise with school team
- Attend regular staff meetings and professional development workshops
- Provide workshops to school staff and parents on variety of areas relating to child social/emotional development
- Participates in departmental and school-wide events
- Is highly visible and present during school/after-school hours
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- Belief that all students have what it takes to be successful.
- Relentless work ethic, passion, and commitment to urban education.
- MSW degree. LMSW or LCSW licensing with a minimum of one year of relevant experience required and NJ School Social Work Certificate required
- Passionate and mission driven. Having a “Whatever It Takes” attitude is a must
- Documented track record of personal and professional success
- Extensive knowledge of child development and interventions
- Experience in therapeutic modalities related to children and families in traditionally underserved communities, including assessment and treatment of trauma
- Experience working within a school environment or extensive work experience with adolescent children
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to work with parents, students, faculty, support staff, external government representatives, as well as school community groups
- Familiar with best practices in working with students with social-emotional needs