Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is seeking an Elementary or Middle School Academic Support for the 2021-22 school year.
The Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is a high-performing, innovative charter public school in Newark NJ, serving students from Pre-K to 12th grade on campuses across the city of Newark. Our mission is to prepare Newark’s students for success in college and beyond. Currently, the historical college matriculation rate for GOLCS is 79% - nearly twice the national average for economically underrepresented students.
Our model is based on the following guiding principles that guide our work daily –
- Creating a community that is built upon genuine and meaningful relationships.
- Being surgical in our approach to differentiation of instruction and support of ALL students and team members.
- Setting and exceeding high expectations for academic growth and character development for all students, in preparation for success in college and beyond.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Cultivating an environment where all students and staff are known and valued and are provided the support and compassion they need to be successful.
- Delivering individualized academic support to our students daily, through tutoring provided by AmeriCorps Education Fellowship program.
- Pairing rigorous curriculum and teaching with intense personal support and high academic expectations for students. Our students, for example, are encouraged to take multiple AP classes before they graduate high school. Our alumni receive intensive support from our college counseling team, while in college.
Academic Support provide targeted academic intervention to students at Great Oaks Legacy Charter School by pushing into whole group classroom settings and/or providing small group instruction.
Academic Support are responsible for preparing each of our students for college success through rigorous instructional support and maintaining consistently high expectations for conduct. Academic Support are models of the hard work, desire for learning, and self-control that we expect our students to learn and display.
Academic Support are an integral part of the educational team with the primary duty of providing academic help to students based on need. They may also support with classroom management, providing one-on-one assistance to students, and providing behavior management support where needed. Additional duties may be assigned by the Campus Director.
- Relentless work ethic.
- Belief that all students have what it takes to be successful.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent from a competitive college or university or paraprofessional certification.
- Demonstrated mastery of content knowledge.
- Extremely strong classroom management abilities.
- Experience developing curriculum or potential to lead curricular development strongly preferred.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP & EVALUATION
Academic Support report to the Campus Director and receive feedback through observations and check-ins with the designated Instructional Leader, Dean, or Campus Director.
GREAT OAKS LEGACY PHILOSOPHY
Our students arrive, on average, significantly behind grade level. Many live in poverty – a higher percentage than most schools in the country. Upon arrival, they are statistically less than 10% likely to graduate with a 4-year degree. Our mission is that each child ultimately graduates from college.
- Employees take responsibility to reverse negative outcomes of failing students, to make every effort to work proactively to engage each and every student, such that each is legitimately prepared to succeed in college.
- It is a given that all of the faculty work very, very hard. All staff acknowledge that we will do more than just work hard; we each seek – through formal and informal feedback – to dramatically improve. At Great Oaks Legacy, an ongoing quest for improvement is not considered remedial, it is essential and ongoing for all staff.
GOLCS is committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. Our staff and student population is diverse and culturally rich. We believe that racial justice and equity is critical to our mission of preparing students for success in college and beyond. We strive to be an organization that is diverse, equitable, inclusive, and elevates our student voices in preparing them for life and college.
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package, including rich health insurance plans, professional development and coaching, and retirement benefits as part of the state pension plan.
Great Oaks Legacy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.