GREAT OAKS LEGACY OVERVIEW
The Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is a high-performing, innovative charter public school in Newark NJ, serving students from Pre-K to 12th grade on campuses across the city of Newark. Our mission is to prepare Newark’s students for success in college and beyond. Currently, the historical college matriculation rate for GOLCS is 79% - nearly twice the national average for economically underrepresented students.
Our model is based on the following guiding principles that guide our work daily –
- Creating a community that is built upon genuine and meaningful relationships.
- Being surgical in our approach to differentiation of instruction and support of ALL students and team members.
- Setting and exceeding high expectations for academic growth and character development for all students, in preparation for success in college and beyond.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Cultivating an environment where all students and staff are known and valued and are provided the support and compassion they need to be successful.
- Delivering individualized academic support to our students daily, through tutoring provided by AmeriCorps Education Fellowship program.
- Pairing rigorous curriculum and teaching with intense personal support and high academic expectations for students. Our students, for example, are encouraged to take multiple AP classes before they graduate high school. Our alumni receive intensive support from our college counseling team, while in college.
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is seeking a dynamic, mission-aligned educator to join our team as a Special Projects Coordinator for the 2021-22 school year.
The Special Projects Coordinator will support the School Leadership & Operations Team by completing various school-wide projects related to operations, compliance, and accountability. The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a fast paced environment, can manage many competing priorities and constituents, and can work efficiently under deadlines. The Special Projects Coordinator is a member of the operations team and will report to the Campus Operations Manager.
- Assisting in the management of meaningful school programs, service projects, and community/fundraising events, while cultivating strong community partnerships.
- Assisting the school leadership team in the development and execution of school-wide projects and special events, e.g. Career Day, College Pride Day, etc.
- Compiling data for marketing material and various reports.
- Planning and organizing student trips, including day trips and end of year, overnight trips.
- Belief that all students have what it takes to be successful.
- Relentless work ethic.
- Minimum of one year of administrative experience, preferably in a non-profit or urban school setting.
- Strong organizational, event planning, and time management skills, with keen attention to detail.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university required.
- Ability to multitask effectively and adhere to deadlines and requirements.
The Office Coordinator will be part of the school’s operations team and will report to the Campus Operations Manager.
Great Oaks Legacy offers competitive salaries and a full benefits package for all full-time staff members.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Great Oaks Legacy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
GREAT OAKS LEGACY PHILOSOPHY
Our students arrive, on average, significantly behind grade level. Many live in poverty – a higher percentage than most schools in the country. Upon arrival, they are statistically less than 10% likely to graduate with a 4-year degree. Our mission is that each child ultimately graduates from college.
- Employees take responsibility to reverse negative outcomes of failing students, to make every effort to work proactively to engage each and every student, such that each is legitimately prepared to succeed in college.
- It is a given that all of the faculty work very, very hard. All staff acknowledge that we will do more than just work hard; we each seek – through formal and informal feedback – to dramatically improve. At Great Oaks Legacy, an ongoing quest for improvement is not considered remedial, it is essential and ongoing for all staff.
GOLCS is committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. Our staff and student population is diverse and culturally rich. We believe that racial justice and equity is critical to our mission of preparing students for success in college and beyond. We strive to be an organization that is diverse, equitable, inclusive, and elevates our student voices in preparing them for life and college.
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package, including rich health insurance plans, professional development and coaching, and retirement benefits as part of the state pension plan.
Great Oaks Legacy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.