Great Oaks Legacy Overview
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is a high-performing, innovative public charter school in Newark NJ, serving students from Pre-K to 12th grade on campuses across the city. Our mission is to prepare public school students for success in college. Great Oaks Legacy Charter School students aspire to be some of the highest performing students in the country.
We have high academic and behavioral expectations for our students. Our students, for example, are encouraged to take multiple AP classes before they graduate. We pair rigorous curriculum and teaching with intense personal support from teachers, tutors, and staff. The school’s mission is to prepare our students for college success through several key elements:
- Small school – Grade-level cohorts of less 100 students allow each student to feel known and cared for. Our focus is on a sense of community and relationship building with families and students
- More time on task – Longer school days than traditional schools. Weekend sessions and summer school for students who are struggling.
- High expectations – Rigorous, differentiated, college-preparatory coursework from K-12. Advanced Placement and real college courses for all juniors and seniors.
- Effective Instruction – World-class teachers with clear expectations and the support they need to continuously improve.
GOLCS is seeking a Manager - Marketing and Communications (MMC) to lead our marketing and communication efforts to advance of our mission of college success. The successful candidate will have the vision to bring to life the stories of our students, families, teachers, and staff. The Manager – Marketing and Communications will build an effective external communication strategy that engages and expands our database of key stakeholders, including prospective GOLCS families, candidates, donors, and partners. S/he will be laser-focused on elevating our brand recognition as a top-performing charter school in the Greater Newark, and larger NJ community.
Effective marketing, communications, and brand management is critical to our success in growing to 10 schools, educating over 3,000 students across the city. Whether helping parents learn about our neighborhood schools, ensuring the best teachers and staff members join our team, or supporting our strong brand reputation, the Manager – Marketing & Communication plays a pivotal role in accomplishing our mission.
- Develop external communications and marketing strategy for GOLCS, including brand strategy and goals
- Set creative direction and supervise design and production of content including photography, printed collateral and video
- Manage contractors supporting the execution of critical marketing initiatives
- Oversee strategic management of our core communications platforms including website, social media, and newsletters
- Collaborate with recruiting teams to develop campaigns for staff and student recruitment, and participate on organizational committees to advance recruitment imperatives
- Oversee paid digital marketing strategies, plans and execution
- Use a data-driven approach to analyze the performance of marketing initiatives and adjust to ensure success
- Ensure schools and teams have the resources to seamlessly represent our brand
- Coordinate with Chief Strategy Officer on strategic external initiatives related to the marketing function
- Other duties as assigned
- Passion for the mission of closing the achievement gap
- Belief that all students have what it takes to be successful, to and through college
- Bachelor degree required, graduate degree preferred
- 5+ years’ previous experience in marketing and/or communications, particularly in a school or mission-driven setting
- Experience with mission-driven marketing preferred
- Experience with social media platforms, MailChimp, HootSuite, and other marketing platforms
- Proven track record of managing and executing data-driven marketing strategies and programs
- Demonstrated understanding of our target audiences; Ability to present and appeal to a wide variety of stakeholders
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Strong customer service approach and communication skills
- A strong desire to take initiative, pursue additional projects, be creative, and propose new solutions;
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, as well as to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
- Quick and effective learner that proactively seeks feedback to improve
- Strong organizational/time management skills and demonstrated ability to set and drive priorities, monitor progress towards goals, and utilize data and information to drive results
- Creative, strategic thinker with exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills
- High sense of urgency; demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The Manager – Marketing & Communications is a twelve-month employee with salary to be recommended by Executive Director and approved by the board.
The Manager – Marketing & Communications reports directly to a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
The Manager – Marketing & Communications is formally evaluated once per year on the basis of essential duties, personal growth, and professionalism.
GREAT OAKS LEGACY PHILOSOPHY
Our students arrive, on average, significantly behind grade level. Many live in poverty – a higher percentage than most schools in the country. Upon arrival, they are statistically less than 10% likely to graduate with a 4-year degree. Our mission is that each child ultimately graduates from college.
- Employee takes responsibility to reverse negative outcomes of failing students, to make every effort to work proactively and reactively to engage each and every student, such that each is legitimately prepared to succeed in college.
- It is a given that all of the faculty work very, very hard. All staff, including the Campus Directors, Admin Teams, CAO, CEO, President, Operations Team and COO and Employee, acknowledge that we will do more than just work hard; we each seek – through formal and informal feedback – to dramatically improve. At Great Oaks Legacy, an ongoing quest for improvement is not considered remedial, it is essential and ongoing for all staff.