Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is seeking a dynamic, mission-aligned educator to join our team as a Founding 7th Grade Teacher - Fairmount Heights Middle School (2021-22) - (Math, English Language Arts, Science, or Social Studies) to join our Downtown Elementary School in its first year offering 4th grade, or the 2021-22 school year.
GREAT OAKS LEGACY OVERVIEW
The Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is a high-performing, innovative charter public school in Newark NJ, serving students from Pre-K to 12th grade on campuses across the city of Newark. Our mission is to prepare Newark’s students for success in college and beyond. Currently, the historical college matriculation rate for GOLCS is 79% - nearly twice the national average for economically underrepresented students.
Our model is based on the following guiding principles that guide our work daily –
- Creating a community that is built upon genuine and meaningful relationships.
- Being surgical in our approach to differentiation of instruction and support of ALL students and team members.
- Setting and exceeding high expectations for academic growth and character development for all students, in preparation for success in college and beyond.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Cultivating an environment where all students and staff are known and valued and are provided the support and compassion they need to be successful.
- Delivering individualized academic support to our students daily, through tutoring provided by AmeriCorps Education Fellowship program.
- Pairing rigorous curriculum and teaching with intense personal support and high academic expectations for students. Our students, for example, are encouraged to take multiple AP classes before they graduate high school. Our alumni receive intensive support from our college counseling team, while in college.
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is seeking a dynamic, mission-aligned educator to join our team as a Teacher for the 2021-22 school year.
Teachers at Great Oaks Legacy Charter School are responsible for preparing each of our students for college success through rigorous instruction and maintaining consistently high expectations for conduct. Teachers are models of the hard work, desire for learning, and character that we expect of our students.
Founding 7th Grade Teacher Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1) Curriculum & Instruction
- Demonstrating solid knowledge and understanding of the content matter.
- Establishing, communicating, and demanding high expectations for student learning, and quality of work.
- Using a multitude of instructional strategies and activities that are academically rigorous and highly engaging.
- Executing detailed lesson plans mapped to a year-long academic plan to address learning needs.
- Taking full responsibility for student failure and constantly working to respond to the students’ learning needs.
- Consistently sending the message that this work is important, that the student can do it, and that you will not give up on a student.
- Track and analyze student data to identify student learning needs and set ambitious, attainable goals for student progress.
- Planning and implementing strategies to achieve targets related to student learning outcomes.
- Working collaboratively with the principal and other teachers to develop and revise curriculum based on assessment data.
3) Classroom Environment
- Maintaining an efficient, respectful and positive tone in your classroom.
- Utilizing time to maximize student learning and communicating a constant, tangible sense of urgency.
- Ensuring that all students are on task at all times during a lesson.
- Clearly enforcing and emphasizing school rules, values and expectations.
- Building relationships with students that demonstrate an open concern and a sense of responsibility for students’ academic and personal growth.
- Supervising students during lunch and transition periods.
4) Additional Responsibilities
- Putting in an extraordinary amount of time and effort to contribute to student and school success.
- Independently assuming additional responsibilities when necessary and demonstrating leadership.
- Making frequent phone calls, keeping parents informed of successes and struggles.
- Maintaining an orderly school culture.
- Occasionally leading professional development sessions.
- Other duties that may be necessary to fulfill the mission of the school.
- Relentless work ethic.
- Belief that all students have what it takes to be successful.
- Bachelor's degree from a competitive college or university. GPA must meet minimum requirements for NJ DOE certification.
- Demonstrated mastery of content knowledge and ability to drive student growth.
- Prior teaching experience in an urban No Excuses school setting strongly preferred.
- Extremely strong classroom management abilities.
- Evidence of NJ Department of Education certification (CE/CEAS/Provisional/Standard) or out of state certification.
- Experience developing curriculum or potential to lead curricular development is strongly preferred.
Our teachers are an integral part of our school-based instructional team and report to the School Director(s), with regular coaching and support from our instructional coaches and DCIs.
GREAT OAKS LEGACY PHILOSOPHY
Our students arrive, on average, significantly behind grade level. Many live in poverty – a higher percentage than most schools in the country. Upon arrival, they are statistically less than 10% likely to graduate with a 4-year degree. Our mission is that each child ultimately graduates from college.
- Employees take responsibility to reverse negative outcomes of failing students, to make every effort to work proactively to engage each and every student, such that each is legitimately prepared to succeed in college.
- It is a given that all of the faculty work very, very hard. All staff acknowledge that we will do more than just work hard; we each seek – through formal and informal feedback – to dramatically improve. At Great Oaks Legacy, an ongoing quest for improvement is not considered remedial, it is essential and ongoing for all staff.
GOLCS is committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. Our staff and student population is diverse and culturally rich. We believe that racial justice and equity is critical to our mission of preparing students for success in college and beyond. We strive to be an organization that is diverse, equitable, inclusive, and elevates our student voices in preparing them for life and college.
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package, including rich health insurance plans, professional development and coaching, and retirement benefits as part of the state pension plan.
Great Oaks Legacy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.