About Great Oaks Charter Schools
At Great Oaks, students will shape the world, not be defined by it. Therefore, we believe that children learn best through a combination of project-based, authentic learning experiences, and direct instruction to support skill development and accelerate learning. Instruction and culture are grounded in our design principles of Mastery, Leadership, and Community. As part of the model, Great Oaks Americorps Fellows provide students with additional opportunities to engage in critical content, which helps to close academic achievement gaps and level the playing field. We are seeking talented, tenacious people who share our belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
About Great Oaks Charter School – Bridgeport
Great Oaks (GO) Charter School - Bridgeport opened in the Fall of 2014 and has a focus on serving students who are English Language Learners. In the upcoming 2020-2021 school year, Great Oaks – Bridgeport will serve grades 6th through 12th.
Great Oaks Charter Schools believe that strong school leaders are integral to the success of its scholars. As Great Oaks continues to expand the reach of its educational programming to serve more students in Bridgeport, the Director of High School Curriculum will support the mission of Great Oaks Charter Schools by working with the Principal and Leadership Team to establish the 6-12 model for GO Bridgeport. As Great Oaks Bridgeport transitions to its new location on Cherry Street, the Director of HS Curriculum will play a critical role as will build on the success and lessons of Great Oaks Charter Schools middle school programs, and will incorporate the network’s guiding principles to create a high-performing, student-centered learning environment that prepares students academically, cognitively, and emotionally to excel in high school, college, and beyond.
The GO Bridgeport Curriculum Implementation Specialist - Humanities is responsible for assisting in the curriculum and instructional development of the school. Building on the academic foundation of our curriculum redesign of the last two years, the school engages students on an intellectual journey, preparing them for four-year colleges and universities, and supporting their career launch in all grades. In addition to pursuing a rigorous academic course of study, a central focus of the school is the development of agency–students' belief that they are in control of their own lives and can act of their own free choices. This capacity will prove essential for college life, where freedom and responsibility will be exercised in a nearly complete absence of supervision. Partnerships with colleges, universities, and college financing organizations, will ensure that students have the support to overcome obstacles and persist in college.
The GO Bridgeport Curriculum Implementation Specialist will coordinate school professional development and curriculum implementation and serves as a bridge and thought partner between the high school and middle school. They will coordinate with the Great Oaks Foundation and the model development colleagues at the other Great Oaks schools.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design and implement the instructional vision for the school with the leadership team, ensuring the successful implementation of developmentally appropriate, rigorous curricula and instructional materials
- Recommend key design decisions for the Great Oaks Bridgeport, including curricular and extra-curricular offerings, staffing structures, and instructional design
- Continue to develop curriculum with teacher teams and individually as needed
- Collaborate across the school and network to structure and guide curriculum and assessment development to ensure alignment with Connecticut requirements, while also including numerous opportunities for advanced work.
- Support the recruitment and hiring teachers, using a rigorous selection process and screening for alignment with Great Oaks’ academic vision and values
- Provide effective professional development and coaching support to teachers.
- NWEA, MasteryConnect Assessment, and SBAC management
- Any other duties assigned by the Executive Director.
Competencies and Qualifications
- 092 preferred, CSDE Teacher Certification Required
- Evidence of urban experience and success as a teacher
- Evidence of experience in leading teachers effectively
- Expertise in teaching and working with scholars across multiple levels
- Record of success in leading adults; prior experience with direct management and supervision preferred
- Ability to create, hold and execute a bold vision for the Great Oaks Teaching and Learning
- A deep belief that all students can thrive in a challenging, high-quality, nurturing, and supportive learning environment
- Ability to lead and inspire through the mission
- Relentlessly high standards, commitment to excellence, ambitious for our school and students
- Deep curricular and assessment experience
- Strong coaching, strategic planning, and project management skills
- Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working effectively with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results
- Effective team member.
- Sense of humor is a plus
Great Oaks Bridgeport ranges this position between $85,000 - $99,000 related to experience.
Selected candidates will be contacted for a 1st round virtual interview and an in-person second round interview before offer.