Middle School Math Teacher
About Great Oaks Charter Schools
At Great Oaks, students will shape the world, not be defined by it. Therefore, we believe that children learn best through a combination of project-based, authentic learning experiences, and direct instruction to support skill development and accelerate learning. Instruction and culture are grounded in our design principles of Mastery, Leadership, and Community. As part of the model, Great Oaks Americorps Fellows provide students with additional opportunities to engage in critical content, which helps to close academic achievement gaps and level the playing field. We are seeking talented, tenacious people who share our belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
About Great Oaks Charter School – Bridgeport
Great Oaks (GO) Charter School - Bridgeport opened in the Fall of 2014 and has a focus on serving students who are English Language Learners. In the upcoming 2020-2021 school year, Great Oaks – Bridgeport will serve grades 6th through 12th.
Great teachers are at the heart of what we do and are the key to our students’ success. Our most successful teachers are mission-driven, adaptable and have a collaborative team mindset. Key responsibilities include:
Drive student outcomes by:
- Aligning planning to the Common Core Standards and student assessment data
- Using data-driven techniques to set ambitious math goals for scholars
- Collaborating with the Special Services team and Great Oaks AmeriCorps Fellows to build differentiated math learning plans for all scholars
- Maintaining consistent communications with families regarding student progress
- Taking leadership of an advisory team comprised of 4-5 Fellows. The advisory team, led by the advisory teacher manages all parent communication for the students in that advisory.
- Holding weekly Office Hours and Homework Help Center
Maintain strong classroom and school culture by:
- Clearly and consistently communicating and upholding school rules, values, and expectations in and out of the classroom
- Setting an urgent, respectful, and positive tone in the classroom
- Displaying extraordinary time management to maximize student learning
- Building relationships with students that communicate the importance of college success and your belief that they will succeed
- Building a collaborative, respectful advisory classroom community
- Taking on responsibilities outside of their content area instruction such as advisory, lunch duty, enrichment classes, and after school activities
Plan a rigorous curriculum and deliver strong instruction by:
- Demonstrating solid knowledge and understanding of middle school math topics
- Using a multitude of instructional strategies that are academically rigorous and highly engaging
- Executing detailed lesson plans mapped to specific Common Core math standards
- Taking responsibility for student progress; constantly working to respond to students’ need
Competencies and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have proven success in implementing high-quality instruction that led to the improvement of student achievement in an urban school. S/he will possess exceptional relationship-building skills and the ability to communicate clearly to multiple stakeholders. The successful candidate will also have:
- A strong academic record with a Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university required; advanced degree in the subject area preferred
- At least two years of experience improving student achievement at an urban school
- State teaching certification in Math (strongly preferred)
- Extremely strong classroom management abilities
- A strong belief that all students can succeed
- A do-whatever-it takes attitude including a willingness to work occasionally on the weekend or in the evening
- An exceptional ability to respond well to feedback and implement it immediately
The starting salary will commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
This position is for the 2020-2021 school year and the successful candidate will start in the beginning of August 2020. Selected candidates will be contacted to set up a video interview.