AmeriCorps Experience and Compliance Manager
About Great Oaks Charter Schools
At Great Oaks, students will shape the world, not be defined by it. Therefore, we believe that children learn best through a combination of project-based, authentic learning experiences, and direct instruction to support skill development and accelerate learning. Instruction and culture are grounded in our design principles of Mastery, Leadership, and Community. As part of the model, Great Oaks Americorps Fellows provide students with additional opportunities to engage in critical content, which helps to close academic achievement gaps and level the playing field. We are seeking talented, tenacious people who share our belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
About Great Oaks Charter School – Bridgeport
Great Oaks (GO) Charter School - Bridgeport opened in the Fall of 2014 and has a focus on serving students who are English Language Learners. In the upcoming 2020-2021 school year, Great Oaks – Bridgeport will serve grades 6th through 12th.
The AmeriCorps Compliance Manager will take ownership over all compliance related matters for the AmeriCorps Contract at their city site. They will work directly with the school leadership team and the Great Oaks Foundation. They will report to the site based GO Fellow Director. The ideal candidate will have enormous attention to detail, enjoy working in a fast paced environment, can manage many competing priorities and stakeholders and work efficiently under strict deadlines. They will also hold themself to a very high standard of personal integrity and understand the level of accountability that comes with having fiduciary responsibility in managing a federal grant.
Throughout the year, the Americorps Experience and Compliance Manager will:
Ensure that Great Oaks is in compliance with regulations set forth by the terms of the AmeriCorps grant:
- Develop and implement effective management systems to track all measures outlined in the AmeriCorps contract.
- Track, monitor, and report on member service including performance measures, member activities, and member hours.
- Construct, manage, and maintain member files to ensure they are accurate and up-to-date.
- Conduct regular internal audits of member files to guarantee they are external audit ready at all times.
- Manage and maintain all data related to AmeriCorps programming.
- Assist members to enroll in My AmeriCorps portal and fill out all required AmeriCorps paperwork.
- Work alongside the Great Oaks Foundation to conduct criminal background checks on all members.
- Take ownership of enrolling all members into eGrants within 30 days and exit them within the same time frame in the case of a departure from the program.
- Assure all activities of members are in compliance with the AmeriCorps contract and members are not engaging in any prohibited activities.
- Implement a plan for AmeriCorps members with pending background checks to ensure they are accompanied with students at all times.
Monitor AmeriCorps member experience and successfully build a collaborative & positive GO Fellow community:
- Identify/proactively manage GO Fellow & GO Fellow Lead operation, finance, human resource, housing, and AmeriCorps compliance challenges and concerns - ensuring they never detract from the service provided to students.
- Collaborate with Great Oaks Foundation to:
- Establish GO Fellows Citizenship Program, GO Fellows Career Readiness Program, GO Fellows Alumni and Advisory Board Engagement Program, and to ensure high quality GO Fellow team building, appreciation, and reflection activities.
- Support the planning of National Service Days (9/11, MLK Day) and GO Fellow network events (Great Oaks Forum, Beyond the Corps Day).
- Effectively capture the experience of GO Fellows and schools, utilizing systems/procedures to report findings back to Foundation and school-based leaders, and protocols to improve on growth areas.
Lead the on-campus selection process and engage prospective GO Fellows:
- Work with the Director of Talent and Recruitment at the Great Oaks Foundation to ensure processes and procedures are followed by the site based team members who are involved in the selection process.
- Conduct in-person or Skype interviews and review work product tasks associated with a prospective Fellow’s application and complete interview evaluations electronically.
- Ensure that there is timely communication with Fellows who have accepted the offer to join the GO Fellows to keep them engaged and to prepare them for the start of their GO Fellow experience.
- Provide outreach to community based organizations to share information about the GO Fellows and Great Oaks Charter Schools.
Competencies and Qualifications
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of Great Oaks and be driven by its mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change. The successful candidate will most likely have had experience with a service driven non-profit organization. The successful candidate will also have:
- A strong academic record with a Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in a school or nonprofit setting
- An impeccable ability to stay organized in a fast-paced environment with very strong attention to detail
- The ability to multitask and prioritize work
- An internal drive to get every single small detail correct; a perfectionist
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and a love for spreadsheets and data
- A very high standard of personal integrity
- Strong relationship building skills
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- A do-whatever-it takes attitude including a willingness to work occasionally on the weekend or in the evening
- Highly collaborative
- Self confidence, flexibility and the ability to respond well to feedback
- Experience planning events
- Experience working with AmeriCorps preferred
- Previous management experience preferred
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Awareness of and comfort with issues of diversity, specifically around race, class, and gender; ability to engage in and facilitate discussion about diversity, equity, and inclusion
The starting salary will commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included.