Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is seeking a Manager of Talent & Teacher Development to join the Network Talent team.
GREAT OAKS LEGACY OVERVIEW
The Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is a high-performing, innovative charter public school in Newark NJ, serving 1,700 students from Pre-K to 12th grade on campuses across the city. Our mission is to prepare public school students for success in college. Great Oaks Legacy students aspire to be some of the highest performing students in the country.
We have high academic and behavioral expectations for our students. Our students, for example, are encouraged to take multiple AP classes before they graduate. We pair rigorous curriculum and teaching with intense personal support from teachers, tutors, and staff. The school’s mission is to prepare our students for college success through several key elements:
- Small school – Grade-level cohorts of less 100 students allow each student to feel known and cared for. Our focus is on a sense of community and relationship building with families and students
- More time on task – Longer school days than traditional schools. Weekend sessions and summer school for students who are struggling.
- High expectations – Rigorous, differentiated, college-preparatory coursework from K-12. Advanced Placement and real college courses for all juniors and seniors.
- Effective Instruction – World-class teachers with clear expectations and the support they need to continuously improve.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Teacher Recruitment and Retention:
- Develops targeted programs and initiatives to attract and retain a talented and diverse teacher candidate pool.
- Oversees strategic efforts to expand the pool of qualified candidates through various channels, including the AmeriCorps program, university education programs, Teach for America, online sources, etc.
- Collaborates with the Chief People Officer to ensure the development of effective retention strategies, such as career pathways, long term compensation strategies, professional development opportunities, and more.
- Successfully coordinates the Great Oaks Legacy Gateway to Teaching program in collaboration with the Chief Academic team and the Relay Graduate School of Education.
- Work with the Chief People Officer and Chief Academic Officers to develop a Master Teacher and Leadership Development track for experienced teachers.
- Supports the Chief Academic team to ensure the fidelity of the performance management cycle and teacher evaluation process.
- Supports teachers and works collaboratively with campus directors with regard to teacher certification, including initial certification for teacher residents, support with provisional teacher requirements, including EdTPA, and summative evaluation submission, etc.
- Tracks and maintains teacher certification information for the district ensuring the successful progression of teachers from initial to standard certification.
- Collaborates with School Directors to oversee implementation of the district-wide mentoring program.
- Relentless work ethic.
- Belief that all students have what it takes to be successful.
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive university required; Master’s degree in Education Leadership or related field preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience in a high performing public charter school setting preferred, including at least 3 years of teaching experience; Teacher coaching or instructional leadership experience strongly preferred.
- Strong understanding and/or successful track record of implementing effective teacher recruitment strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to lead successful development and training programs, preferred, including experience leading PD and workshops targeted toward educators.
GREAT OAKS PHILOSOPHY:
Our students arrive, on average, behind grade level. Many live in poverty. Upon arrival, they are statistically less than 10% likely to graduate with a 4-year degree. Our mission is that each child ultimately graduates from college.
We believe that in order to fulfill this mission, we must –
- Create a community that is built upon genuine and meaningful relationships,
- Be surgical in our approach to differentiation of instruction and support of ALL students and team members, and
- Set and exceed high expectations for academic growth and character development for all students, in preparation for success in college and beyond.
- Employee agrees to take responsibility for his/her part in reversing negative outcomes for students, to work relentlessly to support our efforts to engage each and every student, and to uphold our mission to prepare every student to succeed in college to the extent possible.
- It is a given that all of the faculty work very hard. Employee, like all staff, acknowledges that he/she will do more than just work hard. Employee agrees to seek – through formal and informal feedback – to continue to develop and improve his/her job performance while employed by the School. At Great Oaks Legacy, an ongoing quest for improvement is considered essential for all staff members.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP & EVALUATION
The Manager, Teacher Recruitment and Development is a full time, year-round (12-month) role and reports to the Chief People Officer, receiving semi-annual evaluations.
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is an equal opportunity employer.