Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is seeking an Elementary School Academic Support Teacher for the 2020-21 school year.
Great Oaks Legacy Overview
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is a high-performing, innovative public charter school in Newark NJ, serving 1,900 students from Pre-K to 12th grade on campuses across the city. Our mission is to prepare public school students for success in college. We do so with a unique model that incorporates daily high-dosage tutoring, differentiated instruction, and building a school community based on genuine, caring relationships.
Great Oaks Legacy students aspire to be some of the highest performing students in the country. We have high academic and behavioral expectations for our students. For example, our students are encouraged to take multiple AP classes before they graduate. We pair rigorous curriculum and teaching with intense personal support from teachers, tutors, and staff.
The school’s mission is to prepare our students for college success through several key elements:
- Small school – Grade-level cohorts of less 100 students allow each student to feel known and cared for. Our focus is on a sense of community and relationship building with families and students
- More time on task – We offer longer school days than traditional schools and weekend or after school sessions for students who need additional support.
- High expectations – Rigorous, differentiated, college-preparatory coursework from Pre-K through 12th grade. Advanced Placement and real college courses for high school students.
- Effective Instruction – World-class teachers with clear expectations and the support they need to continuously improve.
To fulfill our mission, we must –
- Create a community that is built upon genuine and meaningful relationships
- Be surgical in our approach to differentiation of instruction and support of ALL students and team members
- Set and exceed high expectations for academic growth and character development for all students, in preparation for success in college and beyond
Academic Support provide targeted academic intervention to students at Great Oaks Legacy Charter School by pushing into whole group classroom settings and/or providing small group instruction.
Academic Support are responsible for preparing each of our students for college success through rigorous instructional support and maintaining consistently high expectations for conduct. Academic Support are models of the hard work, desire for learning, and self-control that we expect our students to learn and display.
Academic Support are an integral part of the educational team with the primary duty of providing academic help to students based on need. They may also support with classroom management, providing one-on-one assistance to students, and providing behavior management support where needed. Additional duties may be assigned by the Campus Director.
- Relentless work ethic.
- Belief that all students have what it takes to be successful.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent from a competitive college or university or paraprofessional certification.
- Demonstrated mastery of content knowledge.
- Extremely strong classroom management abilities.
- Experience developing curriculum or potential to lead curricular development strongly preferred.
GREAT OAKS PHILOSOPHY:
Our students arrive, on average, behind grade level. Many live in poverty. Upon arrival, they are statistically less than 10% likely to graduate with a 4-year degree. Our mission is that each child ultimately graduates from college.
We believe that in order to fulfill this mission, we must –
- Create a community that is built upon genuine and meaningful relationships,
- Be surgical in our approach to differentiation of instruction and support of ALL students and team members, and
- Set and exceed high expectations for academic growth and character development for all students, in preparation for success in college and beyond.
- Employee agrees to take responsibility for his/her part in reversing negative outcomes for students, to work relentlessly to support our efforts to engage each and every student, and to uphold our mission to prepare every student to succeed in college to the extent possible.
- It is a given that all of the faculty work very hard. Employee, like all staff, acknowledges that he/she will do more than just work hard. Employee agrees to seek – through formal and informal feedback – to continue to develop and improve his/her job performance while employed by the School. At Great Oaks Legacy, an ongoing quest for improvement is considered essential for all staff members.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP & EVALUATION
Academic Support report to the Campus Director and receive feedback through observations and check-ins with the designated Instructional Leader, Dean, or Campus Director.
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is an equal opportunity employer.