Middle School English (ELA) Teacher
Great Oaks Charter School – Bridgeport
About Great Oaks Charter Schools
The mission of the Great Oaks Charter Schools is to prepare students to succeed in college. What sets Great Oaks Charter Schools apart from other charters is the use of a high-dosage tutoring model implemented by the Great Oaks Tutors Corps, a group of recent college graduates who provide two hours of daily tutoring to every student. At Great Oaks, we are committed to providing a rigorous 6-12 academic program, fostering a positive school culture and building authentic relationships with families. We are seeking hard-working, tenacious people who share the belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
About Great Oaks Charter School – Bridgeport
Great Oaks (GO) Charter School - Bridgeport opened in the fall of 2014 and has a focus on serving students who are English Language Learners. We currently serve 555 students in grades 6 - 11. GO-Bridgeport will grow to serve students in all grades from 6th-12th by adding on one grade level each year until we reach full enrollment.
Middle School English (ELA) Teacher Position Summary
Great teachers are at the heart of what we do, and are the key to our students’ success. Our most successful teachers are mission driven, adaptable and have a collaborative team mindset. Key responsibilities include:
Drive student outcomes by:
● Aligning planning to the English (ELA) Common Core Standards and student assessment data
● Using data-driven techniques to set ambitious goals for scholars
● Collaborating with the Special Services team and Tutor Corps to leverage differentiation and small group tutoring
● Maintaining consistent communications with families regarding student progress
Maintain strong classroom and school culture by:
● Building relationships with students that communicate the importance of college success and your belief that they will succeed
● Building a collaborative, respectful classroom community
● Clearly and consistently communicating and upholding school rules, values, and expectations in and out of the classroom
● Setting an urgent, respectful, and positive tone in the classroom
● Displaying extraordinary time management to maximize student learning
Plan a rigorous curriculum and deliver strong instruction by:
● Demonstrating solid knowledge and understanding of English and ELA
● Using a multitude of instructional strategies that are academically rigorous and highly engaging
● Executing lesson plans mapped to specific Common Core standards
● Taking responsibility for student progress; constantly working to respond to students’ needs
Competencies and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have proven success in implementing high-quality instruction that led to the improvement of student achievement in an urban school. They will possess exceptional relationship building skills and the ability to communicate clearly to multiple stakeholders. The successful candidate will also have:
● CSDE Certification or Eligibility for CSDE Certification in English 7-12
● Strong classroom management abilities
● Communicated belief in a growth mindset and restorative practices
● An exceptional ability to respond well to feedback and implement it immediately
● Working knowledge of common classroom technology
Great Oaks provides a competitive compensation and benefits package; exact compensation will vary based on experience and education.
This position is for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year due to a medical leave. There is an opportunity for this position to become permanent for the 2020-2021 school year. Selected candidates will be contacted for an onsite interview.