Grayling is the UK’s best-connected communications agency. Headquartered in London, with nine offices across the UK and multiple offices around the world, we create advantage for our clients through insight-led campaigns that deliver tangible results.
Our teams’ skills are broad, ranging from consumer communications, corporate reputation and political engagement to design, digital and social media. And our culture is friendly, diverse and inclusive – we’re proud to be the winners of PRWeek’s ‘Best Places to Work’ award.
We work hard and we play hard, with team socials and benefits including 4pm Friday finishes, regular training workshops, a company pension scheme and discounted gym membership. We’re growing fast, winning pitches and looking for the best talent to join us.
Purpose of role
We have a new and exciting opportunity for a Research & Insights Director to join our growing agency, with the core responsibility of overseeing and coordinating research and insight.
Our best work is based on great information, which delivers telling insights. We’re therefore looking for an analytical and strategic thinker to help us bring that to the next level - to help us find the most compelling and worthwhile information so that our strategists, creatives and account teams can do an even better job at developing campaigns and tactics for our clients.
In summary we need someone who can:
- Interrogate client briefs
- Identify the right questions that need to be asked
- Develop and implement research and information gathering techniques (such as desk research, data analyses, qual to quant, writing research briefs, structuring surveys, running focus groups, sourcing studies)
- Translate the findings into powerful insight
The successful candidate will join IGNITE – Grayling’s central strategic, creative and digital team. Working closely with our Data Analyst, you’ll have access to a suite of planning and insight tools such as Global Web Index and Linkfluence.
We pride ourselves on being an agency of problem solvers, who take a creative approach to developing solutions for our clients – this doesn’t always mean a big idea – we just strive hard to ensure we always find the less obvious solution. As well as producing tight, meaningful briefings on everything from social trends to schools policy, you will be actively invited to help suggest how the insights you have identified can be shaped to inform the solutions we recommend our clients. This could include news stories, campaigns and content.
Lastly, Grayling has put a huge emphasis on improving the quality of strategic thinking across the agency. We are still on that journey and this role is an important step in that. As such, the successful candidate will be expected to help drive that agenda, shining a spotlight on the role and value of powerful insight, improving the research and data gathering methodologies across the agency and empowering the teams to better know what to look for, where to look for it and how to interpret it.
- Creation of research briefs
- Management and oversight of research process
- Management and oversight of surveys, focus groups, panels, etc
- Production of research summary reports
- Collaborative working with strategists to inform strategic thinking and creative briefs
- Working with the client teams to present findings and subsequent strategies and recommendations back to clients
- Working with the client teams to use research and data to better test and measure the effectiveness and value of our work
- Develop research and insights products and services to sell to clients including polling and focus groups etc to drive commercial growth
- Identifying and developing relationships / commercial agreements with relevant third parties in support of the research and insight gathering
- Carrying out training sessions with the internal account teams to upskill them in research and information gathering
- Proven track record of leading research and information gathering to inform strategies and campaigns
- Successfully monetising research products and services and / or driven revenue through the development of products / services /ideas / campaigns that have been informed by research
- The candidate will also be able to demonstrate being connected to and to have a very good understanding of current affairs, the news agenda and the comms landscape
- Previous comms agency experience ideal but not essential
Our promises to you
- A highly competitive salary & benefits package.
- An exciting and dynamic working environment (in a newly refurbished, creative work space)
- An incredibly positive and supportive work culture driven purely by our values (curious, committed & connected).
- Regular team socials and early finish Fridays.
- An abundance of personal development opportunities, with courses ranging from writing, resilience, creativity and more!
- Flexible working arrangements (a hybrid approach)
- 25 days’ holiday, increasing by one day every year up to 30 days.
- New business and employee referral bonuses.
- Cycle to work scheme
- PRCA membership
- Health & wellbeing programmes
At Grayling, we recognise that to deliver the best work for our clients, we need a diverse range of perspectives and experiences. As an equal opportunities employer, we are committed to ensuring best practice approaches to a diverse and inclusive recruitment process and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.