About the Role
Gray is a human-centered digital services company with a mission to transform critical government services using design and technology. We partner with government agencies to deliver digital solutions that are purposeful, trustworthy, and meet the needs of millions of Americans. We're looking for the most tenacious and mission-obsessed team members committed to nurturing a people-first culture and reimagining how the government serves its citizens.
Our Full Stack Software Engineer will work directly with The U.S. Department of Veterans affairs and Accenture Federal Services Services to modernize and improve GI Bill claims processing for veterans, service members and their dependents. As a key member of the team you'll contribute directly to impactful digital services transformation and delivering a best in class user experience.
You have a passion for writing clean, maintainable production-ready code and understanding the software development lifecycle from design and prototype intake, to design systems integration, to data integration and analytics, to unit and acceptance testing. You are a team player who knows how to collaborate with many different teams and stakeholders, and prevent technical bottlenecks. You are a self-starter who never stops learning new ways to improve their code and help their team perform at its best.
Are you passionate about untangling and redesigning government services to better serve Americans? Do you strive to do meaningful work with a company that cares about its people's well-being? In that case, Gray is the right company for you.
What You’ll Do:
- Full stack Java and Angular Developer is responsible for agile development life cycle with application design, construction and testing of Java applications and Web Services.
- Perform the detailed design of application and identify reusable components to support overall project requirements.
- Configure, build, and test the application or technical architecture components.
- Follow good security coding practices to ensure the application is free of most common coding vulnerabilities.
- Conform Code quality, code performance, code security and participate in code reviews.
- Inform the technical architect and project manager of any issues that may affect any other areas of the project.
- Work with other developers, designers, and architects to make sure that the configuration and custom components meet performance goals
- Fix any defects and performance problems discovered in testing.
- Document the application to facilitate maintenance.
- Drive technical direction and decision-making for the team and the project.
- Mentor and advise fellow team members, from junior developers to back-end engineers to QA testers to designer.
- Ensure accessibility 508 standards are met for disabled users.
What You’ll Bring:
- Years of experience: 5+ years of experience developing applications for the web
- Education requirements: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other engineering discipline, or 8 additional years of experience in technical environment.
- Proficiency in Java and Angular
- Spring framework, Spring boot
- REST, SOAP web services
- Authentication mechanisms (SAML, OAuth)
- CI/CD pipeline tools - Git, Maven, Jenkins
- PostgreSQL databases
- JMeter, Junit testing framework
- AWS, SQS, JMS/MQ
- Agile Development
What Our Team Values:
- Mission and values-driven - passionate about prioritizing Gray’s values and mission to transform how the government serves its citizens.
- Positive can-do attitude - can navigate challenges and find solutions while being tenacious, optimistic, and results driven.
- Self-starter with a bias for action - works well without a lot of direction and thrive on being accountable to discover problems, create goals, and execute plans.
- Resilience - dependable in the face of adversity and handle uncertainty and obstacles with grace and elegance.
- Collaboration - embrace differing perspectives to make better decisions and collaborate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Passion - strong ability to motivate and inspire people to do their best work.
- Communication - exceptional written, verbal, relationship building, and emotional intelligence skills.
- Curiosity - constant desire to learn and improve.
- Analytical thinking - in search of the truth and can dig into data to make reasoned decisions objectively.
- Integrity and selflessness - treat people with respect, take a stand yet commit even in disagreement, and are known for your candor and sincerity.
Base Salary Range
- The annual base salary range for this position is $ 100,000 - 130,000
Why Gray (Benefits and Perks):
Gray is an experienced team of dreamers, doers, and change-makers brought together by a shared commitment to doing work that matters, solving big problems, and upholding Gray's mission and values in our daily interactions.
While our headquarters is in Boulder, CO (recently named the best place to live by U.S. News), we are a remote first company and you're free to work where you work best, anywhere within the US.
We care about the happiness of our people. We offer an industry best benefits package and cultivate an environment of empowerment, autonomy with accountability, and a commitment to a healthy work-life balance. Join our team and help defend our vision to deliver meaningful work and a people-first culture.
“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”
Here are highlights of our benefits package:
- Competitive Compensation - We monitor industry salaries annually and make sure we’re paying in the top tier based on skills and experience, for every position at the company. Base salaries are standardized on the Colorado market (our headquarters).
- Remote-Friendly - We hire the most talented technologists from across the country and are committed to being a remote-first company. We want you to perform at your best, and promise to help you feel comfortable and connected wherever you call home.
- Flexible Work Schedules - We treat our people like adults and trust you to manage your schedule. We offer flexible hours to align with your work style.
- Unlimited Vacation - Taking time off to promote health and wellness is crucial to your well being. There's no prescribed vacation or sick day policies. If you’re feeling under the weather or need a mental health day, take time to recharge, it's good for you!
- 100% Health Coverage - We pay 100% of your medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums.
- 401k Match - Saving for retirement and investing in your financial future is important. That’s why Gray matches 401K contributions up to 6% of your salary.
- Professional Development - We want to invest in your growth and development. If you find a class, conference, or opportunity to advance your skill-set, we will help offset the cost up to $2,000.00 per year.
- Wellness Allowance -We want you to do your best work, and we know that your health and happiness are critical to making that happen. We offer up to $50.00 per month reimbursement toward whatever it is that heals you-yoga class, acupuncture-you name it!
- Publishing and Speaking Opportunities - We encourage you to be thought leaders and share your knowledge and expertise. Let's build a more interconnected, diverse, and prosperous digital services community together.
- Swag Budget - New hires receive a gift certificate to Gray’s curated online store of branded merchandise. We promise it’s quality merch you’ll enjoy. Take a peek and see for yourself. We’re regularly adding new products.
- Tech and Tools Allowance - You choose whatever technical tools you need to work most effectively. Each year, you can expense up to $500 on the tech gear and tools you need. This includes an external monitor, standing desk, 3D printer, and more.
- Mission and Public Good Impact - We are brought together by a shared commitment to do work that matters. You’ll work on projects that transform government services, strengthen national defense and are critical to the well-being of millions of Americans.
- Work-life balance. Whether you need to take a midday run or step out to pick up your kid from childcare, we want to see your best self at Gray - that means helping you lead a healthy life outside of work.
Our mission is bold, audacious, and there’s a lot on the line. It’s a significant career move, and we appreciate the courage and passion that go into considering us. We look forward to hearing from you.
What You Should Know:
- Federal contracts require that you be a U.S. Citizen or Green card holder to be eligible for employment.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
- You may be required to meet additional pre-employment contingencies to the extent required by applicable law, at the time of hire or any time thereafter.
- Equal Opportunity & Inclusive Workplace. Gray is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and making our organization a hospital and accessible place for all individuals. Gray is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Gray is a human-centered digital services company using design and technology to transform government services. We deploy highly-efficient, cross-functional digital service teams to empower government agencies and civil servants to better serve the American people. These multi-disciplinary groups leverage agile software development, DevOps, and human-centered design to deliver mission-critical products with a purpose.
Founded by technologists from the White House's U.S. Digital Service (USDS), Gray has experience at the highest levels of government, academia, and the commercial sector. Our executive leadership and advisory board have diverse backgrounds from a wide range of organizations, including Google, Deloitte, The White House, The U.S. Military Academy at West Point, Airbnb, Duke University, and more.
Our team members have created and sold tech startups, led COVID 19 front-line operations, served tours of civic service to reimagine government in the digital era, and built some of the most innovative and well-loved technology products on earth. Leveraging our unique blend of government, academia, and commercial expertise, we work closely with our partners to solve their most pressing technical challenges.
The Gray team is brought together by a shared commitment and unconventional approach to untangle and redesign mission-critical government services. Whether we're improving access to Veterans' disability benefits, building sensors to save lives in war-torn Syria, or developing secure and equitable products for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), we thrive on delivering digital solutions that are purposeful, trustworthy, and meet the needs of millions of people.
At Gray, we’ve established a people-first strategy. That's why our culture encourages self-care, professional development, and nurturing a sense of ownership and responsibility. We believe that a happy team and intentional and mindful growth lead to the best outcomes for our partners and our business.