About the Role
Gray is a human-centered digital services company with a mission to transform critical government services using design and technology. We partner with government agencies to deliver digital solutions that are purposeful, trustworthy, and meet the needs of millions of Americans. We're looking for the most tenacious and mission-obsessed team members committed to nurturing a people-first culture and reimagining how the government serves its citizens.
Our Senior Software Engineer will have senior knowledge and senior hands-on experience in developing, implementing and leading software teams. As a key member of the team, you'll work directly with the United States Air Force and our partners. You’ll contribute directly to impactful digital services transformation and delivering a best in class user experience. You are a team player who knows how to collaborate with many different teams and stakeholders, and prevent technical bottlenecks. You are a self-starter who never stops learning new ways to improve their code and help their team perform at its best.
This position is responsible for maintaining and improving the performance of existing software code, with duties to design and update software databases under contract and direction from the assigned Government Product Manager. The individual MUST have an astute ability in writing test scripts in an agile software development environment with an emphasis on automated test procedures, and continuous integration and continuous delivery of software. The individual should recommend improvements to existing software applications as necessary. Furthermore, individuals should be capable/willing to perform the software tasks identified in the position's primary responsibilities while working on Government/Contractor software teams.
Are you passionate about untangling and redesigning government services to better serve Americans? Do you strive to do meaningful work with a company that cares about its people's well-being? In that case, Gray is the right company for you.
What You’ll Do (Primary Responsibilities):
- Optimizes software designs and architectures to deliver desired performance targets and devises tooling and methodologies to profile execution and capture performance metrics.
- Senior engineers SHALL be proficient in discussing future limitations and a forward-thinking approach in resolving roadblocks presented by current strategy.
- Stays informed on latest software architectures and trends from design patterns to DevSecOps and systems architecture patterns.
- Aids in making technical decisions in order to migrate legacy systems to the cloud.
- Aids in formulating a strategy on how to achieve rapid prototyping of capabilities.
- Analyzes and decomposes activities and requirements to software designs that are allocated across systems components/sub-components, classification system levels, etc.
- Captures, develops, and reports reference architectures and documenting compliance standards.
- Develops plans, road maps, software design strategies.
- Implements and practices DevOps Enablement and helps more junior/less experienced developers to do same.
- Is a mentor to other engineers regarding troubleshooting techniques, design patterns, and testing strategies.
- Senior Devs SHALL be able and willing to provide guidance and constructive feedback to junior engineers within their product teams.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.)
- In lieu of a BS, 3 years of directly related experience will be considered.
- 6 years of non-internship professional Full-Stack Software development experience (Java, Web services, Database, and/or web application development)
- 2 years of experience with DevSecOps tools and processes such as Git, Concourse, GitLabCI, SonarQube, Fortify, and ThreadFix
- 2 years of experience with front end frameworks like React or Vue
- 2 years of experience with Extreme Programming practices (Test-Driven Development, Pair Programming, CI/CD, etc) [See Section 2.2.1]
- 2 years of experience contributing to software architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling) of both new and existing systems
- 1 year of experience using container technologies such as Docker or Kubernetes
- 1 year training, upskilling, and/or mentoring engineers
- MUST be eligible to obtain a minimum of a Secret clearance.
- MS in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.)
- 2 years of experience with backend runtimes and frameworks like Node.js, Spring, Spring Boot, Django, Flask, etc.
- 1 year of experience with test mocks
- 1 year of experience with contract testing
- CompTIA Sec+, CMU SEI - Software Assurance Professional Certificate, or CSSLP certification
- Active Secret or TS/SCI Clearance
- Required: Strong communication/general soft skills
- SHALL conduct themselves at all times in a professional and respectful manner in effort to uphold mutual respect across the organization
- SHALL receive feedback in a respectful and professional manner
- SHALL maintain a positive “can-do” attitude and constructive nature in their critiques in order to maintain positive culture within Kessel Run
- SHALL be a “team player” and contribute to Kessel Run “can-do” culture
- Desired: Strong Senior Mentorship/Leadership Capabilities
- Senior Devs ideally are able to provide guidance and constructive feedback to more junior engineers
What Our Team Values:
- Mission and values-driven - passionate about prioritizing Gray’s values and mission to transform how the government serves its citizens.
- Positive can-do attitude - can navigate challenges and find solutions while being tenacious, optimistic, and results driven.
- Self-starter with a bias for action - works well without a lot of direction and thrive on being accountable to discover problems, create goals, and execute plans.
- Resilience - dependable in the face of adversity and handle uncertainty and obstacles with grace and elegance.
- Collaboration - embrace differing perspectives to make better decisions and collaborate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Passion - strong ability to motivate and inspire people to do their best work.
- Communication - exceptional written, verbal, relationship building, and emotional intelligence skills.
- Curiosity - constant desire to learn and improve.
- Analytical thinking - in search of the truth and can dig into data to make reasoned decisions objectively.
- Integrity and selflessness - treat people with respect, take a stand yet commit even in disagreement, and are known for your candor and sincerity.
- $120,000 - $145,000 Annual Base Salary + Benefits + Growth Potential
Why Gray (Benefits and Perks):
Gray is an experienced team of dreamers, doers, and change-makers brought together by a shared commitment to doing work that matters, solving big problems, and upholding Gray's mission and values in our daily interactions.
While our headquarters is in Boulder, CO (recently named the best place to live by U.S. News), we are a remote first company and you're free to work where you work best, anywhere within the US.
We care about the happiness of our people. We offer an industry best benefits package and cultivate an environment of empowerment, autonomy with accountability, and a commitment to a healthy work-life balance. Join our team and help defend our vision to deliver meaningful work and a people-first culture.
“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”
Here are highlights of our benefits package:
- Competitive Compensation - We monitor industry salaries annually and make sure we’re paying in the top tier based on skills and experience, for every position at the company. Base salaries are standardized on the Colorado market (our headquarters).
- Remote-Friendly - We hire the most talented technologists from across the country and are committed to being a remote-first company. We want you to perform at your best, and promise to help you feel comfortable and connected wherever you call home.
- Flexible Work Schedules - We treat our people like adults and trust you to manage your schedule. We offer flexible hours to align with your work style.
- Unlimited Vacation - Taking time off to promote health and wellness is crucial to your well being. There's no prescribed vacation or sick day policies. If you’re feeling under the weather or need a mental health day, take time to recharge, it's good for you!
- 100% Health Coverage - We pay 100% of your medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums.
- 401k Match - Saving for retirement and investing in your financial future is important. That’s why Gray matches 401K contributions up to 6% of your salary.
- Professional Development - We want to invest in your growth and development. If you find a class, conference, or opportunity to advance your skill-set, we will help offset the cost up to $2,000.00 per year.
- Wellness Allowance -We want you to do your best work, and we know that your health and happiness are critical to making that happen. We offer up to $50.00 per month reimbursement toward whatever it is that heals you-yoga class, acupuncture-you name it!
- Publishing and Speaking Opportunities - We encourage you to be thought leaders and share your knowledge and expertise. Let's build a more interconnected, diverse, and prosperous digital services community together.
- Swag Budget - New hires receive a gift certificate to Gray’s curated online store of branded merchandise. We promise it’s quality merch you’ll enjoy. Take a peek and see for yourself. We’re regularly adding new products.
- Tech and Tools Allowance - You choose whatever technical tools you need to work most effectively. Each year, you can expense up to $500 on the tech gear and tools you need. This includes an external monitor, standing desk, 3D printer, and more.
- Mission and Public Good Impact - We are brought together by a shared commitment to do work that matters. You’ll work on projects that transform government services, strengthen national defense and are critical to the well-being of millions of Americans.
- Work-life balance. Whether you need to take a midday run or step out to pick up your kid from childcare, we want to see your best self at Gray - that means helping you lead a healthy life outside of work.
Our mission is bold, audacious, and there’s a lot on the line. It’s a significant career move, and we appreciate the courage and passion that go into considering us. We look forward to hearing from you.
What You Should Know:
- Federal contracts require that you be a U.S. Citizen to be eligible for employment.
- All work must be conducted within the U.S.
- You may be required to meet additional pre-employment contingencies to the extent required by applicable law, at the time of hire or any time thereafter.
- Equal Opportunity & Inclusive Workplace. Gray is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and making our organization a hospital and accessible place for all individuals. Gray is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Gray is a human-centered digital services company using design and technology to transform government services. We deploy highly-efficient, cross-functional digital service teams to empower government agencies and civil servants to better serve the American people. These multi-disciplinary groups leverage agile software development, DevOps, and human-centered design to deliver mission-critical products with a purpose.
Founded by technologists from the White House's U.S. Digital Service (USDS), Gray has experience at the highest levels of government, academia, and the commercial sector. Our executive leadership and advisory board have diverse backgrounds from a wide range of organizations, including Google, Deloitte, The White House, The U.S. Military Academy at West Point, Airbnb, Duke University, and more.
Our team members have created and sold tech startups, led COVID 19 front-line operations, served tours of civic service to reimagine government in the digital era, and built some of the most innovative and well-loved technology products on earth. Leveraging our unique blend of government, academia, and commercial expertise, we work closely with our partners to solve their most pressing technical challenges.
The Gray team is brought together by a shared commitment and unconventional approach to untangle and redesign mission-critical government services. Whether we're improving access to Veterans' disability benefits, building sensors to save lives in war-torn Syria, or developing secure and equitable products for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), we thrive on delivering digital solutions that are purposeful, trustworthy, and meet the needs of millions of people.
At Gray, we’ve established a people-first strategy. That's why our culture encourages self-care, professional development, and nurturing a sense of ownership and responsibility. We believe that a happy team and intentional and mindful growth lead to the best outcomes for our partners and our business.