Graphika empowers the world to understand and navigate the Cybersocial Terrain. We create large-scale, in-depth maps of social media landscapes and conversations to discover how communities form online and how influence and information flow within large scale networks. Our interdisciplinary team uses our unique, patented set of technologies and tools to create and apply new, rigorous analytical methods to answer difficult questions about online conversations.
About the Role
Graphika seeks an experienced Full Stack developer, who will be a crucial addition to the growing Technology team. The technology team at Graphika builds the platform driving our cutting-edge analysis. We work with large scale graph algorithms and streaming data to tackle interesting questions in new ways.
The ideal candidate has unique skills to critically analyze the full Graphika stack, identify challenges and implement their solutions. Further, they can communicate technical content meaningfully across a broad range of audiences. This is a full-time role.
Areas of Responsibility
- Maintain our desktop web application to serve internal and external analysts
- Maintain the internal and external Graphika API
- Improve Graphika dashboards and visualizations to keep our data accessible to users
- Maintain internal tools and workflows to improve efficiency of our analysts
Ideal Candidate Profile
You will partner closely with the Analysis team and the Product team to provide innovative, pragmatic solutions to technical problems. You are a collaborative problem solver who can work with your teammates on the tech team to deliver on tactical goals without leaving a wake of technical debt. You can work effectively with the product and front end development team to design innovative solutions for the web application. You can efficiently work with a data intensive web application that exchanges hefty amounts of data between the front end and back end. You can design intuitive visualizations to present complex underlying data to end users.
- S3 + Athena
- Ability to work legally in the US without visa sponsorship
- You have experience with Typescript and React
- You have experience building and working with web APIs
- You have experience with SQL (we use MySQL and Postgres)
- You have experience with Ruby or Python
- You have experience with cloud-hosted platforms (we use AWS)
Nice to have:
- You have experience working with social media data
- You have experience working with data-intensive desktop web applications
- You have experience with D3.js or other front end visualization libraries
- You have experience writing automated UI tests using headless browser technology
- You have experience with front end build tooling (we use Webpack)
- You have experience building accessible web applications
- You have experience with NoSQL database technologies like Redis and Mongo
- You have strong UX and UI design sense and can participate in design sessions
- You have familiarity with container technologies (we use Docker and ECS)
All Graphika Tech Team Members...
- understand and appreciate good software engineering practices, including version control, code reviews, testing, and refactoring
- are comfortable debugging and optimizing code
- write tests to make sure code is reliable
- help shape technical decisions within the team
- collaborate within and across departments to ensure successful product creation
- have the ability to pick up new tools and technologies as needed
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- At least 3 years development experience
- Unlimited PTO, with a company-mandated minimum of ten days of vacation time taken per year.
- 100% healthcare (health, vision, dental) premium coverage for employees; 50% premium coverage for families
- For NYers, access to "Graphikafé," our NYC small office setup with bookable hotdesks, meeting rooms, and phone booths
- Remote personal office setup stipend + 20% of home internet costs covered
An important note about joining Graphika during this extraordinary time:
Graphika is growing! Despite the downturn and accompanying reductions in other sectors and companies, Graphika is retaining current employees and is actively hiring for full time positions.
In the BeforeTimes, Graphika's Technology Team was fully co-located in our NYC office. On March 12, 2020, Graphika moved to a fully-distributed model, and we've been working together as a company to respond to the changing realities of the AfterTimes. As a result, we are happy to consider applicants who are located in the continental US, with the caveat that the Technology Team works on Eastern time and begins their day at around 10am. Daily Standup is at 10:30am EST.