Graphcore’s Hardware Engineering Team creates both products for sale in volume production and hardware test & validation systems based on Graphcore’s IPU processor.
These systems allow Graphcore’s customers to develop leading-edge machine-leaning solutions for training and inference.
As a silicon packaging engineer you will work very closely with the silicon and hardware teams to understand the constraints and requirements of the silicon and PCB designs in order to generate packages which will deliver reliability and the best possible performance in volume production. You will collaborate with Graphcore’s silicon, packaging and test vendors to use the latest state of the art packaging techniques, understanding the very high speed, and high power constraints of the very large IPU die.
You will analyse mechanical and thermal design, and work closely with signal and power integrity experts to ensure the package delivers the required system performance.
- Develop packages for new products together with OSAT & other partners
- Analysis and selection of suitable packaging technologies
- Coordination of substrate development between vendor and Graphcore teams for signal and power integrity, mechanical & thermal design, reliability
- Liaise with vendors of substrate, components, assembly & test
- Liaise with product and test engineering for NPI and yield improvement.
The ideal candidate will have experience in :-
- Development of large >1000 pin-count ball grid array, flip-chip, large die, packages
- Knowledge of:
high speed digital interface constraints >32Gbps
high current >100A power supply delivery
thermomechanical constraints, warpage effects
package stress analysis
Cadence Allegro Package Designer suite
- 2D package drawings in Autocad, 3D modelling an advantage
- Device assembly requirements
- System-in-Package co-design
- Multi-layer organic substrate technology, very fine track & gap , complex via structures, design rules
- Signal & power integrity techniques and best practice
- Excel & database manipulation & analysis
- Experience working in a small team in a startup environment, which requires a wide range of skills, an eagerness to participate in all parts of the development cycle from concept to testing in the lab, and supporting manufacture and customers.
- A rigorous approach is required to make sure designs will work correctly the first time.
- Independent working and the taking of responsibility, with excellent cooperative and communications skills to work in a small team environment.
We welcome people of different backgrounds and experiences and are committed to building an inclusive work environment that makes Graphcore a great home for everyone. We are an equal opportunity employer and want to build a work environment where everyone is happy, productive and respectful so they can do their best. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, just let us know.