Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model, which combines the flexibility of working from home with the benefits of gathering in person. Team members can work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, Poland, and Portugal. Conditions permitting, teams will meet in person a few times every quarter at one of Grammarly's hubs, currently in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a shared workspace in Krakow.
Grammarly team members in this role are required to live within a daily commutable distance to Berlin. Grammarly may provide relocation assistance.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, over 30 million people and 50,000 teams around the world rely on our AI-powered communication assistance technology. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To help us reach that goal, we’re looking for an Applied Researcher with a keen interest and background in natural language processing (NLP), machine learning (ML), and deep learning (DL) to join our NLP team. The majority of the problems Grammarly’s NLP team is tackling haven’t already been solved elsewhere, which provides the opportunity for creativity and innovative problem-solving. This individual will work with other researchers, engineers, and linguists to create the next generation of writing and communication assistance tools.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As Applied Researcher, you will have the opportunity to harness your passion for building exciting new product offerings that will impact millions of lives. You will need to stay up-to-date on the quickly evolving field of NLP while also focusing on building production systems.
In this role, you will:
- Develop state-of-the-art tools for correcting, improving, and enhancing written English by using a variety of NLP, ML, and DL technologies.
- Productize and ship these features into Grammarly’s product offerings, which are used by millions of users daily.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest research trends that could improve our product.
- Contribute to the research strategy and technical culture of the company.
- Attract professionals in the industry to build a best-in-class research team that creates a state-of-the-art writing and communication assistant.
- Be an active member of the AI community by attending and speaking at events in Ukraine and abroad and by contributing to technical blogs and journals.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person in Berlin 3 or 4 weeks per quarter.
- Knows theoretical underpinnings of ML/DL.
- Has at least four years of industry experience researching and developing ML and DL technologies for real-world products.
- Knows how to apply ML/DL algorithms to NLP tasks effectively.
- Is proficient in at least one programming language (preferably Python).
- Shows research mentality and a math-oriented mindset.
- Has strong written and spoken English.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust and give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing superior health care (including mental health benefits). We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, and more.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, gender, disability, sexual identity, or age.
For more details about the personal data Grammarly collects during the recruitment process, for what purposes, and how you can address your rights, please see the Grammarly Data Privacy Notice for Candidates here.
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Europe, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered on-site to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.