Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model, which combines the flexibility of working from home with the benefits of gathering in person. Team members can work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, Poland, and Portugal. Conditions permitting, teams will meet in person a few times every quarter at one of Grammarly's hubs, currently in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a shared workspace in Krakow.
Please note our Kyiv hub is currently closed, and we hope the time comes soon when our team can meet again there. We continue to provide support to our Ukraine team members displaced within and outside of Ukraine.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, over 30 million people and 50,000 teams around the world rely on our AI-powered communication assistance technology. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our Data Platform team to help us create a world-class management platform for user text data. Grammarly’s success depends on its ability to keep user text secure while also using data to improve our product. This role is a unique opportunity to experience all aspects of building complex software systems: contributing to the strategy, defining the architecture, and building and shipping to production.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As a Software Engineer on the Data Platform team, you will:
- Use a lot of AWS, write some code, build data pipelines, and create brand-new systems while contributing to existing ones.
- Build a platform to manage all aspects of the data lifecycle.
- Work with partners (researchers, ML engineers, and others) across engineering teams to build tools that seamlessly incorporate data.
- Influence the big picture: make architectural decisions, research relevant technology, and plan for the future.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Has experience with system design and building internal tools.
- Can knowledgeably choose a third-party service to accomplish what they need or, alternatively, can devise a quick and simple solution on their own.
- Has good knowledge of and some experience with AWS (or, alternatively, has deep expertise in Azure or GCE and is willing to learn AWS in a short time frame).
- Has experience with some of the following: Jupyter, Spark, Python, PySpark, Java, and Scala.
- Understands data structures and algorithms at a level sufficient to write performant code when working with large datasets or large incoming data streams.
- Has at least three years of experience managing a live production environment, preferably a high-load system or data warehouse.
- Is a good communicator. We are a tightly integrated team that takes a collaborative approach to our work and fosters a sense of shared ownership in our accomplishments. We expect colleagues to communicate proactively: talk, email, chat, commit messages—you name it.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trustgive team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, criminal prosecution, judgment in a criminal case, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Europe, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered on-site to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.