Grammarly offers a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members can work primarily remotely. Teams will meet in person every quarter in one of Grammarly’s hubs, currently in San Francisco, Vancouver, New York, and Kyiv. To ensure that teams are able to overlap in their working hours and to meet face-to-face when needed, all team members need to live within three time zones of their direct team.
Grammarly team members who will be collaborating at our Vancouver hub must be based in Canada.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. More than 30 million people and 30,000 teams around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a DevOps Engineer to join our Engineering team. We run server instances by the thousands. Milliseconds in speed and uptime make a big difference for the millions of people using Grammarly, and we seek great engineers to help further our mission. The DevOps Engineer will focus on the design and maintenance of third-party infrastructure solutions used at Grammarly, as well as building and maintaining our own solutions for development productivity. Good examples are AWS, systems for logs and metrics collection, internal frameworks for launching new services, and more. Infrastructure is an integral part of our services, and the Engineering team makes sure it gets enough love, care, and technical competence.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As a DevOps Engineer at Grammarly, you will:
- Use modern infrastructure management tools and services (such as AWS) to build a massively scalable platform for Grammarly services.
- Manage cloud-native infrastructure solutions such as cross-service infrastructure and domains, container orchestration and deployments, autoscaling toolset, service discovery, etc.
- Set up efficient and safe networking.
- Build solutions and frameworks to spin up, test, deploy, and observe Grammarly services without much effort.
- Manage third-party systems used by Grammarly’s engineers.
- Participate in on-call incident response and escalation procedures.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Loves system administration, learns constantly, and can’t wait to let us know about the latest cool tool you’ve tried.
- Has at least 3 years of experience managing a live production environment, preferably a high-load system.
- Has good knowledge and at least some experience with AWS—or, has deep expertise in Azure or GCE and is willing to learn AWS (and do it fast).
- Knows Linux inside and out (or, can prove that you can learn it quickly).
- Can deliver maintainable and high-quality code on Golang or other languages.
- Is a good communicator with the ability to collaborate effectively, empathetically, and proactively on a tightly integrated team.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds products that help people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer ample and defined time off, catered lunches, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
- Relocation support: We can help you relocate to Kyiv and make the experience smooth and easy. Grammarly provides a relocation bonus, legal and visa support, temporary housing, moving support and travel expenses, assistance in finding schools for your kids—and all other information you might need.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and abides by the Employment Equity Act.
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Ukraine, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered at the Kyiv hub to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.