Grammarly offers a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members can work primarily remotely. Teams will meet in person every quarter in one of Grammarly’s hubs, currently in San Francisco, Vancouver, New York, and Kyiv. To ensure that teams are able to overlap in their working hours and to meet face-to-face when needed, all team members need to live within three time zones of their direct team.
Grammarly team members who will be collaborating at our Kyiv hub must be based in Ukraine.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. More than 30 million people and 30,000 teams around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for Back-End Software Engineers to join our engineering teams.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As a Back-End Engineer at Grammarly, you will play a critical role in building core parts of the Grammarly product offering, infrastructure, and features to help 30 million users write more clearly and effectively every day.
Grammarly is growing rapidly. There are opportunities to join a team where you can learn from experienced peers, and opportunities to build product offerings and teams from the ground up. Within our growing engineering organization, there is plenty of room for ownership and direct impact on users. Learn more about our teams and the problems they are solving.
As a Back-End Engineer, you will:
- Start building and pushing code in your first week and ship impactful features in your first few months.
- Build and support production services with high call rates.
- Target high availability for consumer and enterprise customers.
- Learn how to build infrastructure as code (IaC).
- Collaborate widely with internal teams to deliver delightful product offerings to our customers.
- Contribute to an engineering culture with a strong emphasis on documentation, testing, and user experience.
- Evaluate the systems and technology in place today while proposing systems and architecture that can scale for the future.
- Have the opportunity to mentor new hires.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Brings at least three years of experience in back-end development, ideally using Java or other JVM languages.
- Displays excellent software engineering fundamentals, including knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Demonstrates perseverance when faced with tough technical issues.
- Has some experience with AWS or other cloud offerings (GCP, Azure, etc.).
- Has experience building, deploying, and debugging production systems at scale.
- Cares about the end-user experience and strives to ensure high quality.
We invite you to share your knowledge, experience, and goals with us to help us find the best team match for you. Tell us your superpower!
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
- Relocation support: We can help you relocate to Kyiv and make the experience smooth and easy. Grammarly provides a relocation bonus, legal and visa support, temporary housing, moving support and travel expenses, assistance in finding schools for your kids—and all other information you might need.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, criminal prosecution, judgment in a criminal case, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Ukraine, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered at the Kyiv hub to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.