At Grammarly, we believe that everyone should be heard and understood. We know that clear and effective communication improves people’s lives. We also know that we want to help everyone improve their communication. That’s why we’ve built an AI-powered communication assistant—to help the world’s 2 billion English speakers feel heard. So far, we’ve created a product that reaches 20 million people every day. Join us to reach the next 100 million.
With Grammarly’s rapid expansion, we are solving problems at an unseen scale. Our back ends serve millions of users in real-time. Our team is at the center of Grammarly’s ecosystem: we work with researchers, front-end developers, and linguists to create the core of our text-checking engine.
We are looking for a skilled Java/Scala engineer with a solid foundation in algorithms and distributed systems. You will be responsible for developing next-generation features for distributed, high-load, and fault-tolerant applications. If you want a big challenge, this is your next gig!
- Gain specific knowledge of our high-performance core services—the most critical and fastest-growing part of Grammarly’s infrastructure.
- Develop APIs and features for distributed, high-load, and fault-tolerant applications using Java/Scala and AWS.
- Apply algorithms and data structures to real-world problems.
- Be hands-on with network architecture, load balancing, CI/CD, provisioning, and security of the production and staging environments. Continuously fine-tune deployments, monitoring, and other routines.
- Participate in a call duty for second-tier escalations as part of a global team.
- Make a difference in the lives of writers everywhere!
This is the right opportunity for you if...
- You embody our E.A.G.E.R. values (Ethical, Adaptable, Gritty, Empathetic, Remarkable).
- Solid software engineering fundamentals, including knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Expert knowledge of Java programming and JVM.
- Working experience with Scala.
- Strong troubleshooting skills that span systems, network, and code.
- Experience with messaging services (RabbitMQ) and databases (MySQL or other popular RDBMS).
- Deep knowledge of Linux operating system.
- Good understanding and practical knowledge of continuous integration/delivery methods.
- Comfortable working with AWS, Docker, Terraform, Grafana, Kibana.
- Experience with C++/C programming is a plus.
- Experience with scripting languages (Python) is a plus.
- Experience with full-stack web apps development is a plus.
- Experience with distributed computing (Spark) is a plus.
- Knowledge or experience in NLP or machine learning is a plus.
It almost goes without saying that we’ll offer you
- Big goals, challenging work, fast learning cycles, practical training, and meaningful feedback.
- Project exposure and ownership that impacts our world, users, product, colleagues, and business.
- Health care, communication coaching, and great coworkers!
Our commitment to diversity
The diverse experiences, ideas, and identities of Grammarly’s team members help us make better decisions and drive great results for our users. We foster an inclusive work environment that welcomes team members of all backgrounds and perspectives. As an equal opportunity employer, we evaluate candidates based solely on talents, skills, and knowledge.