At Gradle Inc. our focus is on improving developer productivity and the developer experience … ”Build Happiness”. We are looking for a highly-motivated engineer to become a member of our Gradle core team. This position is an unique opportunity for trailblazers that live and breathe enterprise build automation, Continuous Delivery and DevOps in a customer-facing environment.
As a Gradle services engineer, fifty percent of your time is spent on short term engagements working closely with industry leaders like Google, LinkedIn, Netflix and Unity by improving their project automation infrastructure and solving their hardest software delivery challenges.
When you are not designing and developing automation solutions for clients, you drive innovation of the Gradle platform by implementing new features, bugfixes and optimizations. We strongly believe in the collaboration with our community. Part of your job is to interact with Gradle users, facilitate knowledge transfer and promote Gradle at conferences and user groups.
The exposure to the depth of the Gradle core product and the variety of challenges within software stacks of different complexity at these organizations, empowers you to become a Gradle/CD subject matter expert in no time. Not to mention you will get the opportunity to work closely with industry leaders and learn how they approach and solve these challenges in modern build environments.
The role for the Gradle Services Engineer is a true career builder. The amount of experience that our Services Engineers get in a single year from being exposed to multiple projects, is equivalent to 4-5 years of work at other software organizations.
- Contribute to Gradle core releases (we release every 6-8 weeks)
- Contribute to Open Source partnerships: work closely with advanced technology companies to build pioneering, new features into Gradle.
- Help our clients to implement, design, and automate their enterprise projects end-to-end
- Shepherd migrations from existing build automation solutions to Gradle that affect hundreds of developers
- Create and deliver in-person and virtual training courses
- Facilitate knowledge transfer by answering questions on the Gradle forum
- Speak on Gradle at well-known conferences like JavaOne, Spring2GX, AnDevCon, Uberconf, and Devoxx to name a few.
- Experience with Gradle, Maven, Ant, or other build tools is a must!
- Passion about the domain of build automation and experience with delivery automation tools
- Experience with Continuous Integration tools like Jenkins, Teamcity, Bamboo
- Practical knowledge on methodologies like Continuous Delivery, Agile and DevOps
- Experience with using version control systems and making them part of the delivery process. Git is a plus.
- Design and delivery of custom technical solutions
- Excellent communication skills and can-do attitude
- Eligibility to work in the US
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Gradle Inc. is not a consulting house. At the heart of Gradle Inc. are our products. We have only one goal for our services, to make our clients successful and self-reliant with our products, to “Build Happiness”. We are not interested, nor would we participate, in service engagements where clients become dependent on us in the long term. The key to achieving this lies in knowledge transfer. We deeply care about the productivity and happiness of developers and build masters. We want to restore a sense of flow to their work through continuous improvement: enabling their ever-expanding skills to meet ever-increasing challenges. We want developers to feel that they have done the best work in their lives towards something bigger than themselves. We would also like you to feel that you can do the best work of your life here at Gradle by making our products better or by helping our clients.
Gradle Inc. is a pioneer in the domain of continuous delivery. We help our clients not just in applying Gradle, we help them in designing full automation solutions by deeply understanding their requirements and combining them with best practices of the industry.
This job requires some travel to customer sites within the U.S. It is a unique career opportunity. The clients you will work with will range from the financial institutions on the east coast, start-ups, to many of the unicorns in Silicon Valley. You will gain invaluable insights into how software is delivered in our industry and how to improve the process and tooling.
Service engineering is deeply appreciated within the Gradle engineering team. Service engineers provide customer and user-centric feedback for core R&D and open the door for sponsored R&D work. You will get a lot of feedback and help from everyone in the team.